Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Resurrection


I know what you're thinking! Here she is again, writing a blog post after a long absence full of the same excuses as to why there has been a long absence...

Well... yes, I am!

Actually, I feel I shouldn't really be writing here. I don't deserve to have a blog anymore after leaving it abandoned in the blogosphere for over 2 months. And with things about to become even more hectic in my life, I can't even pretend to myself that I would be able to blog regularly, but I can't just let this old blog die. I might leave it hanging on for a few months at a time but I refuse to let it die. Nah, there's still some life in this blog yet!

The thing is, I blame facebook. I've said it before and I'll say it again : Facebook is the devil of the internet universe. The status updates are like mini-blog posts, only much easier and shorter and you can get a lot more comments in response. And there's a 'like' button! And my mum leaves me comments! I suppose for me it's the lazy way to blog and, of late, I have been a very lazy blogger, there's no denying it. (Oh but for those of you who were my FB friends and can't find me anymore it's because Facebook took my account away from me for having a fake name, so please don't think I deleted you! I'm back on it now, under my real name, which I shan't put here, but if you want me to add you, send me an email.)

I may have been a lazy blogger but over the last few months I've been anything but lazy in real life. As you all know, I got married. Twice. And I can't believe I didn't even put a picture up of our second wedding! It's the best one! Well, here we have one for those that care :


Ok, I said one picture, didn't I? Did you notice I sneaked (snuck? snucked?) an extra one in there? It's only to show you how beautiful our backdrop was! Can you believe that was Scotland? We had bright blue skies and sun all day long, it was unbelievable! The whole day was just perfect in every way, really. And the photographer was amazing! Actually, the venue where we held the reception liked the photos so much that they sent them to a wedding magazine to be featured in their 'real weddings' issue but we got knocked back because - and this made us all laugh - they were already featuring a lot of blonde brides! So they said they'd consider featuring our wedding in their next issue. Watch this space.

And secondly, I have been working very, very, very hard! Some of you may remember that I set up my own business as an English teacher back in March. Well! I don't want to jinx anything but things have been going from strength to strength. My business has now got a contract with a private school where, starting from Tuesday, I will be teaching kids between the ages of 3 and 15! Back in July I taught a summer workshop there with the little ones (3 - 6 years old) and I absolutely loved it. It's a lot of work but it's so worth it! I've had to start turning away work because my client list is at it's maximum and I've even employed someone to do telephone lessons! Ok, ok, if I'm honest, it's my long-suffering mum who's doing a few lessons for me, but that's still better than nothing, n'est ce pas?

Well, I've got a billion lesson plans to write so I better be off. Is it a good idea to have an aperitif while writing lesson plans, I wonder? Perhaps a few glasses of vino might give me some creative ideas, although the last time I tried to teach a student a lesson which had been planned while (slightly) squiffy, I found I couldn't even make sense of the notes I'd made.

Still, what is it they say in primary schools when they talk about Robert the Bruce and a spider? If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again!

*pop goes the cork*


7 comments:

ashleyenfrance said...

Congrats on the wedding! Being married is the best, or at least I have found so! And the school contract!! I am going to send off some letters to try to get some hours in a school as well...

Nice to see you back even if it is irregular!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Hi ashley, thankyou for the comment! I forgot how nice it feels to have a comment on my blog!!

Being married has been absolutely wonderful so far! I don't understand the people who say that marriage is 'just a piece of paper', it's soooo much more than that! It's heaven!!

Good luck for your school search! Are you freelancing?

ashleyenfrance said...

Yup, I am freelancing. I have also been translating here and there... Did you just send out CV's and letters to local schools? That is my current plan, don't know if it will work though, but worth a shot I guess!

Being married to me is a lot more then the piece of paper as well. I mean, granted the extra security is nice, in case of an accident or something of the matter, but I like the idea of making a commitment to one person. Of making a choice of that person.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

That's great! You can make a lot of money translating official documents if you have the official stamp thing. I remember when we were doing the paper work for our marriage in France and we had to spend a LOT of money on an official translator for all of my documents!

My status is as an 'auto-entrepreneur' so I don't know if this is the same as freelancing and if you are also an auto-entrepreneur, but I just set up my own website for my business and all the clients came to me. You could set up a website or put posts on the petits annonces websites or try sending letters and CVs to local schools, or all of the above! People are crying out for English teachers who are actually American / British, so you should find work no bother!

mssuebee402 said...

Congratulations on your marriage and your new business! Yes, marriage is more than a piece of paper. I still remember how I felt the first time I referred to my husband as husband. I definitely felt different...in a very good way.

sarah doow said...

No wonder you've not been blogging, you're so busy! How exciting that you're teaching business is going so well.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

mssuebee402 I totally know what you mean, calling FP my husband for the first time felt so different but so good! And when I get to introduce him as 'my husband' I feel so proud! It's great being married :-D

Doow! thank you for thinking it's exciting, I always have to remind myself that most people don't find it half as exciting as I do!