Saturday, March 20, 2010

Silence Broken!

Well! This has definitely been the longest silence I've ever let this blog suffer from. And for that I am sorry - particularly to those lovely readers who have e-mailed me out of concern. Rather a lot has been going on since January, you see, leaving me with little time or energy to think about writing. But every time I catch up with YOUR blogs, I find myself missing La Belle Saison and my online presence as Princesse Ecossaise and feeling very guilty about just upping and leaving this place silent, cold and unwelcoming. It's funny to think that at one point I couldn't go a single day without writing on this blog, I was bursting at the seams with snippets and stories from my everyday life, couldn't wait to share them with my virtual friends. Now, life seems to have taken over and pulled me out from the blogosphere with a thud, leaving me wondering how the hell to get back in.

What's more is that my blog turned 3 years old this February and I didn't even wish it a joyeux anniversaire! I know, it's shameful, isn't it? But wait! Let me explain! Here's why I've been so dreadfully absent...


Weddings


I've been a huuuge bridezilla! I know I vowed never to let the wedding planning turn me into a stressed out, over-reacting, bitchy bridezilla but I hadn't actually thought out my situation properly when I said that. You see, I forgot that I wouldn't be arranging only one wedding, but rather two. One from afar (the big, traditional Scottish wedding) and one in France in French which, despite the fact that I am pretty fluent in the language now, is really quite difficult. It's all been very, very hectic these past few months – we now have less than 3 months to go before we become Mr and Mrs and I think I speak for both of us when I say we just want the wedding days to HURRY THE FECK UP AND ARRIVE!


Despairing


As if I didn't have enough on my plate with the planning of two weddings, I've also been unemployed. Not from choice, you understand, but from the fact that there seems to be no good, full time, well-paid teaching jobs out there – not where I am, anyway. It's been pretty rough, if I'm honest with you. For January and part of February I was staying at home all day every day, searching for a job, finding nothing. FP would come home, tired after a long day at work, and I'd practically pounce on him as soon as he stepped foot in the apartment. “Speeeeeak to meeee!” I would cry, desperate for human company (the cat, although cuddly, just doesn't cut it when it comes to conversation) and I would spend the next four hours talking. Talking about I don't even know what, I don't remember, I don't think even I was listening to me.


A lot of sitting in the apartment with only a cat for company does not a happy Princesse make and, coupled with the disappointment from not being able to find my dream teaching job, this brought me down, down, down into a wee bout of despair.


Business


And then, amidst all this despair, something that I'd been thinking about for a while but hadn't actually dared pursue before, occurred to me. If the dream job didn't come to Princesse, then Princesse would create the dream job. And so I am in the process of setting up my own company as an independent English teacher! I shall be providing residents and businesses of Versailles English classes and thankfully have been given the opportunity to take business classes in order to help me set up on my own. It's all very stressful and exciting and unknown. I just hope it works!


Well, there we go. I always hate writing the first post after a long silence, it's always so...email to a friend-like. I'll hopefully be back soon with some good bloggy stories - I should go out and embarrass myself, that always gives me something to write about – but for now, FP and I are off to watch Slumdog Millionaire. (For the first time! I think we're probably the last couple left who haven't seen this film.)


Anyway, have a great Saturday night my dear readers!!!


11 comments:

Léa said...

Yeeahahh ! It's so good to read you again ! I've been visiting your blog some times, waiting for a new article to come and here it is !
I'm sure you're gonna love Slumdog Millionaire !
bisous ;)

Teuchter said...

Sorry to hear you've been in the doldrums.
It is lovely to see you back in the blogosphere.

Bon chance, wee cherie.

Micah D.L. said...

TD and I have not yet seen Slumdog, so you're well ahead of us!

I totally understand that weird feeling of writing after having not for so long. I'm in the midst of a small dry spell myself. Nothing interesting to say right now. Sad face.

Also, I'm sure you're not being as horrible about weddings as you think you are...and it's perfectly normal to way everything to be tres perfect...can't wait!

Lis of the North said...

Hiyer! I need to blog also. Maybe I will. Best of luck with your teaching, stick at it and build your business!!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Léa Slumdog Millionaire was great! What a film! Don't know why I didn't watch it before! Gros bisous a toi ma belle xxx

Teuchter Thank you! It's good to be back!

Micah Oh you must watch Slumdog Millionaire, it really is a good film. Very touching. And romantic! I'm pretty sure I've been a slight bridezilla - maybe not the worst...no, I could definitely have been worse, but weddings are stressful! I so can't wait for June just to hurry up now, and I bet you and TD can't wait for your wee holiday in France either! :-D

Thanks Lis! I really, really, really hope this biz will work because if not I think I'll end up being a waitress in some dodgy café :-( fingers crossed that never has to happen!!!

T.D. Newton said...

Yes, we are very excited for the visit! We just found out yesterday that someone we know is going there for a week and we were quite jealous... but that was relieved by the fact that we're coming soon! Ack, just a few months! I'd better get back to my French lessons!

Loth said...

Welcome back! Good to hear from you again! (And Husband and I have not seen Slumdog Millionaire yet, so you are trendier than we are. Come to think of it, we haven't seen Saving Private Ryan either. Or Brokeback Mountain or Avatar or........)

Sally said...

Welcome back!! xx

Princesse Ecossaise said...

TD don't worry, I feel like June is, happily, approaching at an unbelievable speed, so you guys will be here in no time! A bientôt!

Loth Apart from Slumdog Millionaire, we haven't seen any one of those other films either! I thought we were the last people left on earth who hadn't seen Avatar, but am happy to know we aren't alone!

Thanks Sally! xx

Ghosty said...

Hi Princesse! I've been away too, until recently ... hey, life happens, and for heaven's sake, you're planning weddings! Certainly more important than writing to all us silly people. The teaching business sounds like a grand idea, though. And, happy birthday to your blog! Has it really been three whole years??

Juliawolfie said...

You're back! I've missed you! Sorry to hear you've been a wee bit down. Good on you for boinging back!!

Juliawolfie xx