Saturday, January 09, 2010

Mistaken Identity



We stand in the middle of the living room, FP and I, carefully and politely unwrapping our christmas gifts from his parents. We are surrounded by FP's family; his aunties and uncles and his parents eagerly watching our faces as we discover what's beneath the shiny, festive wrapping paper. I hate this part : I hate feeling the pressure of having to act a certain way when I see what the present is. I hate knowing that if I don't make the right faces and noises, I could potentially hurt someone's feelings. If you don't smile and act delighted, you appear ungrateful. Overdo it and people know you hate the gift. It's a thin line people, a thin line.

I reach my gift first : a pretty scarf made of the softest material. Not so shabby, I think to myself, relieved. And then my fingers brush against something else hidden in the folds of the scarf. A gift card for a certain high street clothes shop - 40 €. Result! My day just got a little brighter with the prospect of being able to choose my own gift.

But once I've thanked my in-laws profusely and told them (the obligatory British politeness statement) that they really shouldn't have, something about the gift voucher catches my eye.

Oh no.

It can't be -

But it is! Oh the shame!

I knudge FP hard in the ribs and show him the gift voucher. Slowly, his eyes widen in horror.

You see, the gift card is not in my name. Well, the first name is mine - albeit spelt incorrectly but I'll let that one slip - but the family name...

Well, the family name belongs to FP's ex-girlfriend.

Mortified, readers. Absolutely bloody well morto.

13 comments:

Emmy said...

please say that this is a made up story cos if it isn't, I died a little for you whilst reading it.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

True story I'm afraid Emmy. :-( Thanks for feeling my pain with me though!!

Léa said...

Ewww. Sad story honey. But now I guess she knows your name. xxx

Ghosty said...

OMG.

Sally said...

Oh no!! But I imagine she is also mortified. If she now knows, that is.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

lol yes they know now but they insist it was the girl in the shop's mistake!!! Way to dig a hole deeper eh!

lesbiangonewrong said...

Coz obviously the girl in the shop knew FP's ex really well....
oh dear - i hope they feel suitably awful about it!

T.D. Newton said...

Ack. I'm with Ghosty in the OMG camp.

Well, it's the thought that counts, eh?

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Lesbiangonewrong I hope they feel suitably awful about it too! They could have at least owned up to it! Pffft!

TD Ummm yeah the thought that counts...I just need to keep telling myself they were thinking of me and not her!!!

megan said...

Dreadful, dreadful story. But you are a delightful writer! Thanks for sharing :)
Fun to see Jen at "All My Ish" on your blogroll-she's a real life friend, and also a wonderful storyteller!

Kimberly said...

I sympathize with you, but I'm so happy that your blogging again that even bad news is good news. From a loyal FAN.

Léa said...

Hello dear ! Je viens de te décerner un de mes 7 Princess Awards ! Il y a un petit article qui y est consacré sur mon blog pour plus d'infos :) Bisous

true religion jeans said...

very nice!!!