Thursday, October 22, 2009

Road Trip


Coming back after a holiday in Scotland, I always feel the need for another holiday. FP and I did so much in the two weeks that we were staying at my parent's house in the North of Glasgow that there was not one single day where we actually got to relax as such. By the end of the holiday we were so exhausted that we were going to bed at 10pm and stressing over the idea of having to drive 10 hours back to France (did I mention we came by car and boat?). But still, we made it back home in one peice in the end and only fell asleep at the wheel twice (just kidding, mum!).

My favourite photo of us!

On the boat to Portsmouth


After 2 hours of driving in France, 6 hours on the boat, a lovely sleep in Southampton's Premier Inn Hotel and then 8 hours of driving, we arrived at my parent's house. We then had a wee party with these wonderful people:

Kenny and Jo

My brother and his girlfriend

My wee mum!

My lovely wee mum

Daddy!

And my wonderful dad.

It was exhilarating and surreal to be there with them. When you come by plane, you step on in one country and step off in another. It's fast and you're in no doubt that you've arrived. But when we came by car we passed through all of England and then part of Scotland before we got to our final destination and it was so long and gradual that when we did finally arrive, neither of us were quite sure how we had got there.

That first night passed by in a gush of heady, wonderful moments, all of us talking the hind legs off a donkey and enjoying each other's company after realising that we were finally all together as a family for the first time in seven months. It was awesome.


4 comments:

kiwi in france said...

It's so much nicer (sometimes) to travel by car because you get to see the surroundings and the changes in the landscape, although I took the bus from Inverness to London which was a bit too much roadtripping.

Sounds like you had a fantastic time and great to be at home with your fam!

T.D. Newton said...

Your parents are so cute. That's awesome.

Our friends that got married last-last weekend just got back from France. They even went to Versailles, but I didn't know they were going there (just to Paris, otherwise I would have alerted you because Gabe and Kelly are AWESOME).

Anyway, hi.

Sally said...

You really look like your dad! Glad you had a fab trip xx

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Kiwi I totally agree. Taking the car meant that for the first time ever we really got to see the beautiful scenery that certain parts of England and Scotland had to offer. We passed by the Yorkshire Dales and all I can say is WOW!

TD Your 'your parents are so cute' comment will make my mum blush when she reads this!

Sally haha! Everyone says that! I have to agree, I definitely have all the characteristics of my dad's side of the family! My brother is reeeeally like my mum, but I don't think you can tell from those pictures.