Friday, September 11, 2009

La Rochelle

FP and I have just come back from the most wonderful long weekend spent in La Rochelle. La Rochelle! The town where it all began for me. The place where all my French adventures were born.

I've forever been enchanted by La Rochelle with it's many winding little roads and nooks and crannies. I used to love to set out on a stroll on a Sunday afternoon, not having the slightest clue where I might end up, to discover small, out-of-the-way antique shops or a public garden, so quiet that one might be forgiven for thinking it's private.

FP was good enough to visit my old haunts with me. My old apartment, favourite restaurants, secluded beaches and Le Vieux Port. He makes a lovely travel partner, so he does.

(I apologise for my repetition to those of you who have already seen these photos on Facebook!)

Le Vieux Port



Lovely La Rochelle

Food and Drink

We ate and drank spectacularly well.

Le Phare



picnikfile_qoGP9M


Outside my old apartment!

Standing outside number 21. My old apartment.



scooter


mosaic beach

We spent a fabulous morning on the Ile de Ré. We had planned on hiring a scooter and buzzing around the island carefree with the wind blowing through our hair. But unfortunately, there were no scooters left at the hire cycle shop and we found ourselves stranded, not knowing quite what to do with ourselves. So we went to the beach and had a look at the rockpools with their hermit crabs and shrimp. I was bewitched by the amount of living creatures you can find under one little rock.



A thoroughly crackin' wee holiday.

7 comments:

Loth said...

That looks fab (although you do seem to have a frenchman stuck to your forehead in that last photie)

Micah D.L. said...

makes me want to go back to France and travel more extensively that through Paris...desperately.

looks like you had a great time!

Crystal said...

beautiful photos. La Rochelle looks so nice (I've never been there) and I've wanted to go to Ile de Ré for a while. I'll show max these pics to entice him to take me, more sooner than later!!

DiaryofWhy said...

I recently discovered your blog, and am enjoying the read. (It's like a trip down memory lane for me).

I love La Rochelle! Ahh, memories...

T.D. Newton said...

Awww, looks like a fantastic trip. We shall have to make it someday, ourselves.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Micah and TD COME TO FRAAAAAAAAAANCE!

Kristan said...

Wow, that first shot is LOVELY! I mean, all of them are very nice, but I'm CAPTIVATED by the first one.