Friday, May 08, 2009

Baby Shopping and Other Short Stories

Well it's been a crazy month what with my new job (which isn't so new anymore) and two sets of visitors during April - the first one being my mum and the second Zannie and her fiancé Venzo. There was a spot of drama as soon as our guests left for home because I was knocked for six with a case of the lurgy which, despite my protests that it was just a wee cold, scared the living daylights out of my loved ones who were all convinced I had caught swine flu. We get quite a few Mexican tourists at the Chateau de Versailles, you see, and my dad was having a hairy fit, telling me to wear hospital gloves while working at the ticket control and suggesting I invest in a surgical mask to keep germs out. I didn't do this, of course, as I don't want to get bullied at work, but his concern was very touching nevertheless.

Oh! There was a much happier drama this month too. On the 20th April, Indigo, my best friend from uni, gave birth to a lovely little baby boy. I haven't met the wee man in question yet as I'm stuck in France and they are in Edinburgh, but I have seen photos and let me tell you, he is a looker. He's going to break girl's hearts one day, I'm sure of it. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish Indigo and her BF congratulations and to welcome Baby Blue into the world!

Anyway, the birth of Indigo's baby gave me the excuse I needed to drag FP into a big shop full of baby stuff to buy a present, which turned out to be an interesting experience. It was clear from the outset that FP wasn't keen to step foot in a baby shop before he needed to, but I promised him it would be a quick in and out. Except it didn't really happen that way at all, because as soon as we were inside, looking at the teensy, tiny trainers, and adorable socks that wouldn't fit my finger, time seemed to stop.

There's something special about a Baby Stuff Shop. I swear the entire shop smelled of a baby's head (have you ever smelt a baby's head? If not, then do so). Inside, there were buggies and carry cots and cradles and cots and car seats and high chairs and bouncy chairs and those funny seats on wheels - hang on, I've just googled it and apparently it's called a baby walker - and the clothes...Oh the clothes! And it wasn't just me who came over all soppy. I'm not joking, amigos, but I can pinpoint the precise moment when FP cracked and decided to allow himself to enjoy the baby shop experience. He reached out to touch a tiny velvet babygrow covered with red and white stripes, the label indicating it was for a newborn baby, and his face seemed to melt into what I can only describe as a Broody Man Face. From that moment on, he kept seperating from me in the shop and returning minutes later with various items of baby clothing, saying 'look, look!' all excitedly like and trying to get me to buy it for Baby Blue.

Strangely enough, once we left the shop FP returned to his normal 'no babies until we have enough money and good jobs and a house' self. I think it was probably the baby head smell of the shop that got to him.

In other news, last night I was lying in bed all alone (FP was out with friends) reading my book when a man out on the street started singing 'When a man loves a woman'. I peeked out through the curtains and could make out his figure standing below the balcony of the apartment across the road from us, singing up into the sky. It wasn't like in the films though, because the woman, or indeed man, that he was apparently serenading did not step out onto their balcony and look down admiringly. Instead, someone from our block of apartments opened their window and threatened a call to the police if the man didn't shut his snout.

So there we have it. An update of my month. Oh I lead such an exciting life...

7 comments:

T.D. Newton said...

That's awesome. We have friends who have a five-month-old (born on Xmas Eve) and she is just a smiley little ball of crazy. Micah wants to get her all kinds of Disney Princess miscellany all the time. It's hilarious.

Also... what book were you reading??? (hahahaha)

Loth said...

Yep, baby heads smell wonderful. The other end, not so much..

Sally said...

Hello! Nice to read you again.
How are the wedding plans coming along?
xx

Lis of the North said...

Baby heads do indeed smell great. And baby (& toddler) clothes are damn cute. But the best babies are someone else's!!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

TD Aw man Disney Princess stuff is so cool! Baby girl clothes are so much cuter than the baby boys things, you never really see Disney Prince stuff do you?

p.s. I will be posting on The Book! ;-)

Loth I have to agree with you on that one. Not looking forward to having to deal with the other end when I have my future kids. Still, it's all worth it in the end, eh?

Hiya Sally! Och the wedding plans are coming along nicely thanks. Well, in Scotland at least. We went to the French town hall the other day to ask about what papers we will need for the civil ceremony and it's ridiculous the amount of paperwork I need to chase up. I suppose I should just get used to it, it is France after all!

Lis For the moment the best babies are everyone else's babies. But ONE DAY...! :-D

Ghosty said...

1. I never considered the smell of a baby's head before, but now that I have ... um, yes, I think it's the baby shampoo they all get to use.

2. When a man loves a woman? Not the sort of thing one would expected to be serenaded in France. O.o

3. Yes, your life is as exciting as mine. *yawn* Perhaps even more so. I recommend a road trip!

Camelia W. said...

That's very cute, babies are so cute, but although at the moment I'm concentrating on planning my wedding and usually people link babies to weddings, I, strangely enough, haven't thought of it at all.well, not at all, but, i don't think it's something I would like right now...I still feel i'm a kid myself