Thursday, March 05, 2009

Jazz Hands



I had just sat down on the sofa this afternoon, sighing as I fished out half a soggy biscuit from my coffee when my mobile phone started vibrating. I gasped loudly and experienced a cold flash of panic in my chest. Flustered, I opened the 'junk drawer' and raked through the mish-mash of miscellaneous objects that can be found in there, pulling out a biro and notepad and took a deep breath before answering the call.

"Allô?" I answered, hoping that it was the call back I'd been waiting for all week long.

"Oui, bonjour. Is that Mademoiselle Ecossaise?" The disembodied female voice said on the other end.

I nodded, forgetting she couldn't see me. "Uh, yes!" I confirmed. I had a good feeling about this phonecall...It had to be good, because if there was a bad outcome I only had 6 squares of chocolate left in the cupboard to console me, and that certainly would not be enough.

The voice on the other end of the phone broke into my thoughts. "This is Madame Le Blanc. We met last week at the recruitment day?"

Here it was. The call I'd been sitting by the phone waiting impatiently for over the past four days.

I took a deep breath. Please say I've got the job, please say I've got the job, a little voice in my head pleaded pathetically.

"I'm very pleased to say..." the lady said far too slowly. Spit it out woman! "That you have been successful in your application to work with us." Oh thank feck! I tried hard not to jump from my seat and do a little dance of joy. Instead I clamped the phone between my shoulder and ear and did jazz hands.

Oh. My. God. "That's excellent!" I cried into the receiver hysterically. She laughed and I realised it was perhaps not quite the professional way to express one's happiness. Quickly, I regained my compusure and cleared my throat, embarrassed. "Uhh I mean, je suis très contente."

And I meant it. The job in question does not have a particularly high salary, it does not require much experience or a university degree and it's only a seasonal contract of 6 months, but frankly I'm delighted! It could be just an effect of the fact that right now finding a job in France when you're...well, me, is like trying to find a fart in a jacuzzi, but then again, perhaps I'm so happy because this is a job that I used to dream of having back when I was stuck in rainy Scotland, sick with tuberculosis, lying in a hospital bed. So I find it rather amusing that this is where I've ended up.

I will probably regret saying this when I've been working there a month and the novelty has worn off, but I can't wait to begin!

So what is the job, I hear you ask! Well here's a clue...it's in the tourism sector. Oh and don't forget where I live!

Just call me Marie Antoinette!

24 comments:

Milk Jam said...

Disneyland?????

by the way, can i quote you on that? "like finding a fart in a jacuzzi?" i laughed so i hard i cried... partly from laughter and partly because its oh so true - i'm on the job hunt myself :-(

T.D. Newton said...

That's awesome! Congratulations!!

Sally said...

Hooray! Congratulations!

Lesley said...

Brilly willy. (Do they give you a room with the job - in one of the less used wings perhaps?)

Emily Marie said...

omg Versailles????? That's so cool! You should be excited...really, good for you!

Kim said...

CONGRATULATIONS princesse!! you must be so happy to find a job, love your unprofessional reply, I'd do the same!

hehe, my word verification word is 'skint', oh so true... I think I need a part-time job.

... said...

hello la belle, c'est génial! I've never been to versailles so far... are you going to hand out invitations? special guided tours? ;-) good luck and tell us about it!

Ksam said...

CRAZY!!! i'm so happy for you, maybe i'll have to make a trip out to see you!!

Andromeda said...

Congrats!! And I must say that I too laughed out loud at the "fart in a jacuzzi". You have quite a way with words, your highness!

Jennie said...

Félicitations !!!

Emmy said...

Hello

great news, i'm chuffed for you! but whay will you be doing? I'm rubbish at guessing.

any job finding tips? I'm starting the long road to find a new job and could do with all tips!

Belle Ecrivaine said...

This is incredibly good news! I'm happy to hear it.

doow said...

Wonderful news, well done!

And I must add my voice to those praising the fart in a jacuzzi expression, that was brilliant :-)

stavroulix said...

OMG! you'll be working in Versailles? wow!
congratulations!

Chouitie said...

Coolio, well done. Not going to do a CELTA course then? Mind you, how exciting working at THE chateau. What exactly will you be doing there? Good luck, hope it goes well. When do you start?

Lis of the North said...

Trop chouette! Suis super contente pour toi ma cocotte :)

Jane said...

Congrats sweetie.
As a "wise" man once said: "I love it when a plan comes together."

Jxx

Steph said...

Congrats on the job!

Micah D.L. said...

ah lovely! congratulations!
it still sounds all kinds of super fab, just like all your other jobs...how very chic and rad of you!

Teuchter said...

That's great news!

Zhu said...

Everytime I catch up with your aventures françaises, you seemed to have gotten a job.

Congratulations but please... tell us how you do it! A lot of Frencn ARE farting in the jaccuzzi ;-)

Princesse Ecossaise said...

@ everyone, thanks all so much for the comments! Here are some answers to your big Q's.

Re: the fart in the jacuzzi phrase...

I really wanna take all the credit for this but I did not invent it! We used to say it at home when we were kids, it probably came from my brother who coins fantastic yet bizarre phrases like that on demand with a click of the fingers. He's the better child.

Re: the job.

I am indeed going to be working at the Chateau de Versailles! And I can't wait. I won't be doing anything fancy, just welcoming visitors, working on the ticket stands and generally being bilingual, but it does mean I will be spending my entire summer outside in the - hopefully glorious and ever present - sun. I urge everyone who lives in France or who makes a trip to France to come along and say hello!

Re: a room with the job

Not exactly...and I think I would be too scared to stay overnight in the palace anyway, what with all the oldness about it! However the offices I was in the other day are in the servant's headquarters and it was so odd being seated at a desk with a high tech PC and an ancient old cooking stove to my left.

Re: Job Advice

Emmm...Go to the ANPE and tell them exactly what kind of job you want. Then sit back and wait for their computer to do it's magic. Well, that's how I went about it...

Loth said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic news. You must of course go off and eat cake to celebrate!

pierre l said...

Congratulations and good luck, Princesse.