Saturday, February 28, 2009

Manfred



Meet Manfred, our new wardrobe.

The past few weekends have been spent mounting our new and very long awaited 'dressing'. I love this new addition to our home - despite the fact that we couldn't get Ikea to deliver the mirrored door because they 'don't deliver glass' (wtf?) and therefore we are now missing the middle door. I adore it because everyone who knows me knows that I have a billion clothes and coats and shoes and handbags and accessories that I have accumulated over the years (and can't bare to through away, even if they are no longer in fashion, are too tight, or I wouldn't be seen dead wearing them now - I guess I'm a clothes and accessories hoarder) and I have spent most of my life trying to cram them all into stuffed drawers or tiny wardrobes. But that is a thing of the past, my friends! With this new wardrobe I finally have enough space for my twenty-five pairs of jeans of various sizes (I'm a yo-yo dieter - a fat wardrobe and a thin wardrobe is essential) and I am loving it.

I haven't finished filling the wonderful, spacious Manfred yet, but I have a lovely feeling that even when I have put all my 'fringues' in, there will still be space. Long live Ikea and their Design Your Own Wardrobe ideas!



My side


FP's side


The joy I have experienced through this armoir is immense - it just goes to show how I am easily pleased - but it reminds me of a very unpleasant day back when I was a rather unsavoury teenager living in my 7 m² childhood bedroom.

I was 15 and my passions in life were clothes, make up and boys, boys, boys. I hated adults and tidying my room. My dad had asked me several times in one week to tidy my room, but I refused to listen to his threats of throwing all my clothes that were strewn everywhere into the bin and instead, I spent my Thursday evening trying on outfit after outfit after outfit in front of the mirror trying to find something super cool to wear the next night when I would be going to an underage disco and wanted boys to fancy me.

But when I got home from school on the Friday evening, I went upstairs and found...nothing. All my clothes that had filled the floor were gone and it was the first time in months that I had actually seen my carpet. I opened the nearest drawer, but nothing. It was empty - which was completely normal because my clothes didn't live in drawers, they lived on the floor and hung on door handles. I checked the next drawer, and the next but they were all empty. In a panic I turned and ran to my parents who were downstairs.

Apparently, in a fit of rage, my dad had 'tidied' my room for me. My clothes were in a bin bag in the wheelie bin sitting in front of the house. I cried, I begged, I bargained, but nothing was going to change my dad's mind, those clothes were destined for the bin lorry. And I couldn't go to the disco either, unless I wanted to go wearing my school uniform. Which I didn't.

My hero came in the form of my dear mother who, panicked at the thought of all the money spent on those clothes, sneaked out in the middle of the night and plucked the bin bag full of my clothes from the wheelie bin and saved them all.

Ever since then I have tried very hard to be neat and tidy with my clothes, but it's not been easy when there was never enough space to hold them.

Again, let's hear a woohoo for Manfred the Mammoth wardrobe!



Ollie is a fan of Manfred's smooth, spacious shelves.


6 comments:

Micah D.L. said...

oh my gosh. i have truly found a girl after my own heart.

you should see our closets. or maybe not. it's quite frightening.

my mom once did to me what your dad did. nothing quite as rattling as finding all your precious things in the trash bin.

but it does give me ammo...HA!

Sally said...

Oh no! I can't believe your dad actually did that! My mum threatened so many times to do that to me, but never got round to it! :-)

Lis of the North said...

Lol how many times in my youth did I hear the dreaded threat "if you don't tidy your room, I'll tidy it for you".
I used to be a bit of a clothes hoarder too but I'm cured. We have limited storage in our house, so if I want new clothes I have to chuck old ones. Good motivation! Or maybe we need a Manfred?

Mo said...

what a scary story !! and what an amazing wardrobe !! i dream of one like that. Plus i love this name ;-)

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Micah we are two peas in a pod, you and I! Man there really is nothing as terrifying as knowing your beloved clothes are squashed into a black bag waiting to be picked up by the bin men. It gives me shivers down my spine to even remember this horrifying experience!

Sally You were SO lucky that your mum didn't go through with her threats! It traumatised me!

Lis Every girl needs a Manfred!! I was the same before Manfred came along, I knew that if I wanted knew clothes I would have to get rid of some old ones to make space. My problem was that I bought the new clothes and never got around to throwing old ones out!

Mo Hehe, the name comes from the woolly mammoth in the movie 'Ice Age'!

Léa said...

Oh my god ! Your wardrobe used to be so tidy !