Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sticks and Stones and Broken Bones


FP has broken his big toe. Poor soul.

He came home from his American Football training on Monday night hopping on one foot, agony written across his face.

"It's broken," I announced after studying his swollen, black and blue toe. FP insisted he was fine, that it was just bruised, nipped only a teensy wee bit, but certainly was not broken. Anything but broken, he'd claimed. But I could see from the odd way his toe was bent, and from the pain in his face that his bravery could not hide.

"It's definitely broken." I insisted.

And in the morning, the pain was too great, the toe too huge (throbbing at double it's normal size, I'll have you know) to ignore, so off he went to the hospital and guess what? Yes, FP was the proud owner of a broken toe and a shiny pair of crutches.

I did just manage to hold back on saying 'I told you so,' I'm sure you'll be glad to hear, as he is a poor wee soul, and he is missing his football. But before you go feeling sorry for him, spare a thought for me, who has to be running around after him; fetching books, retrieving his radio-controlled helicopter and helping him take a shower with his foot wrapped in a polythene bag.

I always said that sport is bad for the health, and I've finally been proved right...

10 comments:

Zhu said...

Just be glad he doesn't play hockey!

Ouch, still. It must hurt.

T.D. Newton said...

Poor guy, but, at the same time, just like a man to "sleep on it" when deciding to take his injury to the hospital. Geez.

pinkjellybaby said...

ah yes, excercise truly is bad for you. HA in your face exercise.

Belle Ecrivaine said...

Radio-controlled helicopter? I think FP just got even more adorable.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Zhu Hmmm good thinking, it defo could have been a whoooole lot worse! Thank God for the protection pads they are obliged to wear in American Football!

TDNo you are totally right, men HATE going to the doctors/hospital!! They put it off and put it off until they are almost dying with the pain! Pffft men, eh? :-p

Pink Jelly Baby Aha! A girl after my own heart!

Belle Ecrivaine ah yes, the much loved radio controlled helicopter. Not to mention the radio controlled cars and trucks, either.

Daisy said...

Ouch! Poor him, that looks baad. Very sweet that he thought he could soldier through though!

Loth said...

How do you say "I told you so" in French? I'd like to use it on my kids sometime.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Daisy Ach I know, he's a wee trooper. He insisted on going back to work the very next day when he could have taken three days off! What a man!

Loth Haha! I think - although don't quote me on this - that it's simply 'je t'ai dis'. Have fun with that one!

pierre l said...

I am also sorry about FP's toe -- it does sound very painful.
I have to agree with you about sport being dangerous: when I was a teenager (in Montreal, a very long time), my mother forced me to go ice skating; I managed to slip on the icy pavement near the ice-rink and break my wrist. That was the end of my skating career.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Pierre owwwwww! Sounds nasty! I too broke my wrist on skates, although they were not of the ice rink variety. Four wheeled Minnie Mouse roller skates to be exact. Ah yes, broken bones was my speciality as a child!