It's only been 6 months since I've been fully recovered from tuberculosis, and the scars left by the lesions are still evident on my body. I wasn't expecting them to miraculously disappear - I'm not that disillusioned - (although I certainly wouldn't be complaining if the scars had just vanished into thin air), but I still occasionally find myself fretting about the scar that runs across my cheek and spreads out over my nose.
It's not that I feel sorry for myself because of what happened, but rather that it's just such a pain in the big fat bum to have something like that right IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FACE.
For example, here are a list of things I can't do because of that scar :
- Go to the public swimming pool (because if my face gets wet it will wash off the special camouflage make up and I'll be left with a red nose and cheek, scaring all the other swimmers out the pool and making the children cry.)
- Answer the door when I don't have my make up on.
- Leave the house with no make up on.
- Get out the house when there's a fire until I've put on my make up (by which time I might be burned to a chargrill).
- Blow my nose in public (because the tissue wipes off the make up).
- Take off my glasses or sunglasses once I have put them on (because they wipe off the make up where they pinch the nose).
- Talk about noses without getting self concious about mine.
- Be in a photo and feel good about myself.
- Be in daylight and feel good about myself.
- Feel good about myself .