Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Friends Forever



Well folks, it's been a wee while, hasn't it? The thing is, last week my time was taken up with entertaining my lovely guests - bestest friend Zannie and her lovely fiancé Venzo - who had come all the way from Glasgow just to see little old me! It was really, really great to have them here and to spend some much needed catching up time with Zannie and to discuss the wedding (did I mention I'll be a bridesmaid?!).

Zannie and I met when we were five years old when she came to our primary school as the new girl. All I can remember of her from that first day was that she had this beautiful, glossy hair that was so long it skimmed her lower back. I had always wanted long hair like that.

And then, a few days later, in the playground, Zannie stood alone, waiting for the school bell to ring for the morning classes to begin. I watched shyly from my corner of the playground as she mounted the two foot wall and took a leap off. Once she had landed on the ground, she looked up and saw that I was watching.

She smiled at me and said, "Want to play with me? I'm trying to fly!"

Shyly, I nodded. I, too, mounted the two foot wall and leaped off onto the ground, shaking my head when I landed, saying "Aw man, it didn't work!"

"Come on," she said, taking my hand in hers. "Let's try again!" And together, hand in hand, we jumped off that wall, over and over again until the bell rang, landing on the ground and acting dissappointed that we hadn't managed to fly.

And from that day on we were inseparable.

When I think of all the years that we have known each other, and all the years that we have been best friends, it's almost scary! Seventeen years of friendship, seventeen years of knowing I always have someone who will be there for me. Those seventeen years of friendship is another one of those things that only comes with adulthood, along with Zannie's 22nd birthday yesterday, and her imminent wedding, and so I would just like to take the opportunity to say this;

Zannie, thank you for being you. Thank you for being there when I needed you. Those seventeen years of friendship mean so much to me and I hope our friendship lasts a lifetime. Just know that even though I live here and you live there, that you are getting married and I am impatiently waiting for Mr. Frenchman to propose to me, no matter that we have our own separate lives and will, in the future, have our own separate families, you will always be my BBF. Happy birthday, Toots, and roll on the wedding!

P.S. I hope you will forgive me for posting this photo...

6 comments:

Zannie said...

Aww petal, u made me cry! I love you lots, thank you also for being you! Can't wait til you're over in a couple of weeks! x x x
p.s. I'm going to make you wear a bridesmaid dress just like the one I have on in that pic as punishment for posting it :p x

JB said...

This was a really sweet blog post! I am jealous that you have such a true blue friend like her. Not to say that I don't have my own, but not one that has lasted nearly two decades! Congrats to her on her upcoming wedding. Hopefully the actual bridesmaid's dress she makes you wear is gorgeous! Not plaid!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Zannie haha! I think that dress is so cute and I was jealous of it! I had to wear that party outfit two years in a row - the skirt with the elephant on it remember? Oh the good ol' days!

Sorry I made you cry, if it makes you feel any better I was choking back the tears when I wrote it. God help me at your wedding!!!!

JB awww I don't suppose it's the length of years that a friendship lasts for that's important really though, is it? I am so lucky that she and I have been bezzie mates for all this time, that's true, and it is so funny when I think back through all those years of us as kids and teenagers and now, here we are as adults! Still, a good friend is a good friend, no matter how long you've know her, right? :-)

Loth said...

Very sweet. And who could possibly object to that photo being posted?

Daisy said...

Ah this is a lovely post! Just properly found your blog again after leaving the blogosphere for a while- will def be back to read more!

Zhu said...

The picture says it all!