Tuesday, August 12, 2008

To Do List



I love lists. Lists are for organised people and I enjoy pretending that that is what I am. An organised person.

What I despise is creating those lists, especially To Do lists. The amount of things that pop into my head when I say 'To Do' is depressing. Always.

But what I really love about lists is crossing the items off. Shopping lists, To Do lists, Things-To-Worry-About-Lists...Scoring out the items is fandabadozy and releases some kind of endorphin into my bloodstream. Sometimes I even add tasks to my To Do lists that I have already done just so that I can get the satisfaction of scoring it out. And despite knowing that I have already completed the task before I write it down, I still manage to get that endorphin thing going on. 'Tis good baby, 'tis good.

Of course, since FP and I moved in together, he has inevitably commented on my use of lists. He tends to run off to the other end of the supermarché as soon as I get my shopping list and pen out, because apparently I look 'anal' when I pop my glasses on the end of my nose and tick off every item as I bung it into the basket and he doesn't want to be associated with the likes of me. 'But I'm only being organised,' I say. 'N'importe quoi!'

Today I came home from work, fed that cat, tidied up the shoes in the entrance and poured myself a little vodka et coka before picking up a pen and taking out my To Do list which was neatly nestled in the corner of the bureau drawer. I looked to the bottom of the list, quickly scanning the tasks I had already written and under 'Get Pet Insurance', added;

Feed cat

Tidy shoes


Drink alcohol

With a smile on my face and satisfaction running through my bloodstream, I scored out the words I had just written, scribbling a fat blue, heavy line of biro ink through each word. Done.

And then my eyes catch site of the tasks above. Not my handwriting. Spidery, curly, black ink. I blink once, twice, and then read...

To Do:

FP


Again


And again

Once more

Make love, not war

Kiss him a lot

Aimer FP (love FP)

And I can assure you, there was more, but as I don't want to share too much info, I shall leave it at that. I'm sure you get the idea.

My question is this; is it right to take advantage of a girl's To Do list? I'm not so sure. Whatever the answer, I feel obliged to score out these tasks and feel that satisfaction high.

It looks like it's going to be a busy night...



13 comments:

JB said...

Hahaha! That's funny. Votre prince est un génie!

T.D. Newton said...

OMG that is hilarious as well as inspiring (Micah keeps a day planner instead of a To Do List but the effect is much the same).

Never go shopping without a list! You end up with all kinds of crap that you don't need! I'm entirely convinced that's why Twinkies™ were invented!

Micah D.L. said...

i freaking LOVE lists! i had one for a while on my igoogle page and i always have one at the office. sometimes i make "honey-do" lists for the TD and myself for around the house.

i think i'll need to copy your list of things "to do" tonight, but for a different night...and with my TD....

Samantha said...

wow, i'm suprised you even found the time to blog! :)

Ghosty said...

*blush*

Aside from all this caterwalling in romance ... I never sit and *make* the lists. I simply add to them as I go along. My lists are eternal, never ending. I add and scratch off as time moves along. :)

Oh, but the checking off in the supermarket! There's no other way to do it!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

JB - Teehee! I have to admit, it is a rather cunning trick! The clever cookie...

TD - Hahaha! Well it's always nice to know that what I share on my blog can inspire others! As for shopping lists, you're preaching to the converted! I am a massive fan. If I ever go to the supermarket without a list my head begins to spin and I come away with ridiculous items that I don't need or even want - impulse buys - and I forget all the important things that I should have bought. Would never happen with a list.

One more thing...I've always wondered, what exactly are Twinkies™ ? And Tim Tams?

Micah - Me too me too! I have the To Do List on my igoogle! Don't you find it less satisfying without the whole scratching a line through the words once completed? Clicking a cross and seeing the task disapear just isn't the same. It's as if it was never there. Just wrong! I also tried this: www.tadalist.com which is better because when you complete a task it goes into its very own little list of 'tasks completed'!!

At work I have lists and post-its. I heart post-its and I heart lists. But don't ask me to choose because I probably couldn't.

Samantha - hehe ach there's always time for a spot of blogging. Like when you're catching your breath. (Only joking!)

Ghosty - Another listophile! My lists can seem neverending too. When that happens, I take a fresh piece of paper and copy out the tasks that remain from the original list. Then it tricks my brain into thinking that it's an entirely new list! Clever no?

T.D. Newton said...

Oh man, post-its are a lifesaver.

I have absolutely no idea what Tim Tams are but here's everything you ever wanted to know about twinkies.

Zhu said...

Poor girl, so many chores :D

Don't pause to check your list though, just go with the flow.

And I thought your parents read your blog ?!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

TD well, I read the whole twinkie information and am full of twinkie knowledge. It seems to me that a twinkie is really just a glorified cake bar. However, the man who decided to deep fry them is a genius. I must try this!

zhu haha nah I shan't pause to look at the list or to score the chores out once completed. I think it might kill the mood...

My parents do occasionally read the blog, but I had the insight to phone my mum as soon as I'd published the post to warn her not to read the latest entry!

T.D. Newton said...

Yeah, Micah really wants to try the deep-fried twinkie, too. Personally I try really hard to stay away from stuff like that - it's not like I need any help eating junkfood as it is!!

I do want to have a deep-fried turkey for Thanksgiving one of these years, though.

Micah D.L. said...

deep fried twinkies. deep fried oreos. deep fried pickles. deep fried turkey. deep fried ice cream.

yeah, if it's deep fried, i'll eat it.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Micah you have to try a deep fried mars bar! Very popular in Scotland at the moment, and is in the list of top ten foods that are mega bad for you. I've still not tried it but one day I will; if I get pregnant I can eat it guilt free and say that I am eating for two!

I have to get my hands on some twinkies, I'm going to deep fry it myself! :-D

curiositist said...

Funny!I also have lists "whom I will draw with me,if i sink"))