Thursday, August 21, 2008

Neighbours...



We have new neighbours that have just moved into the apartment below us. I bumped into them yesterday for the first time as I was on my way out of the building to go to Champion and they were stuck in the doorway with a massive fridge freezer.

There were four of them, two women and two men, all red faced and all of them wondering how the hell they were going to get the fridge freezer - complete with ice making machine - through the slightly too small doorway. When the woman at the front of the group saw me she panicked and shreiked 'oh merde! Il y a quelq'un!' which meant that everyone hurriedly tried to shuffle the fridge backwards again so that I could squeeze past.

Embarrassed, I smiled and said, 'C'est pas grave, take your time.' And then, all of a sudden I heard a yell of agony and realised that the huge fridge freezer had landed on the second woman's foot! She started hopping up and down, clutching her left foot and screaming at the other three while I just stood there, still smiling, embarrassed. I waited in the corner, fiddling nervously with the straps of my shopping bag, feeling bad that the women got hurt because I needed to get past. As soon as I could I squeezed through the tiny gap between the door and the fridge freezer and speed walked until I was out of sight. I can only hope and pray that the second woman with the sore foot was just a friend helping out with the move and not my new neighbour...

Whichever couple it was that has moved in below us, I can't say I'm all that impressed. Firstly, they have a rather large family by the sounds of things. We have three gorgeous fireplaces in our apartment which are great features but definitely allow the sound to travel between the seperate floors. Which means that ever since the family moved in below us, all we have heard is kids crying or shouting or bouncing basket balls off the roof (I'm not exagerating!) and this morning at 6am, we were awoken by the suprisingly loud scream of 'NON!' It was the papa telling one of the kids off for not playing 'doucement' (gently), apprently. We heard every word clearly. We also heard loud and clear the kid having a temper tantrum in response to being told off and then the maman's voice joined in on the disciplining.

And secondly, they have stolen our parking space! Of course it's not our parking space on paper but it's below our balcony and we can see the car from the windows of our apartment and everyone knows that that is where FP parks every day, everyone knows that. And then these new people come and nick our space! The cheek of them!

When FP got home from work yesterday he had to park the car across the road which made him very cross. We arrived back at the apartment at the same time so I waited for him to cross the road and we walked towards the front door, hand in hand. As we were passing our parking space with the big, blue, shiny, family car sitting in it, FP checked out the departmental number on the car's number plate and snorted. 'Hoh la! They come from 91 en plus! Quelle connard d'avoir piqué ma place!'

I was just about to ask him what department 91 was and why that was so bad when we both turned our heads to see an open window and the man sitting in the front seat of the car. He glared at us as we both stared open mouthed at him. He wasn't supposed to be there! Oh la honte...

Something tells me that we are not going to be invited downstairs for a neighbourly aperitif anytime soon. Especially if FP follows through with his threat to go down there and beat the door down the next time they decide to have a full blown family argument at 6am in the morning.

**footnote** I have a whole lot more to talk about on the subject of our neighbours but it's getting late so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Also I'm sorry I haven't replied to comments on the last post, I have been crazy busy this week but will reply tomorrow, just wanted to say thanks to all of you who left a comment. I felt much better after reading all those 'you shouldn't care about it, it's nothing's!

4 comments:

Ghosty said...

Oh dear, it sounds like you have the sort of neighbors I had to deal with a few years back. your FP has exactly the right idea - go down there, beat on the door and let these folks know, in no uncertain terms, their behavior at 6AM is unacceptable - followed by a swift contact to the landlord, repeatedly! Oooh, don't let them get the best of you, Princesse!

Diane said...

we also had an interesting neighbor move in about five months ago. Her children can also be quite noisy, although I dont suffer from having fireplaces in my apartment thankfully. She also stole our parking spot. The biggest problem with her though is that every time D plays music she complains. Now normally he listens to music when he is on the computer and wears headphones but occasionally he has to practice a set (he DJ's) HE always does it in the afternoon or early evening so it wont be too disturbing and she still complains. The last time she just laid on the door buzzer downstairs for over five minutes. The funny thing is he has only practiced about three or four times since she moved in and she has commplained every time.

JB said...

Oh la la. I know there's nothing worse than awful neighbours to ruin the perfect home. Hopefully they curb their loud disciplining and the kids start to behave better.

Micah D.L. said...

ah the joys of apartment living. i wish i had some words of advice or encouragement to give you, but having lived in numerous apartments in my days, let me just say that LOUD is something i'd have welcomed. haha! i once lived in this atrocious complex where my neighbors thought it appropriate to leave poopy diapers on the front step (mind you, the trash bin was a mere 15ft from the door...they could have thrown it in there from the balcony) and the "baby daddy" would come to the front door around 5am every day, banging on the door and hollering at "baby mama"...he was a douchebag (american slang for "total wanker"). and across from my bedroom window was a young lady that liked to have VEEERRRY raucous "relations". on top of all that, i called the cops no less than a dozen times on the prick high schoolers that would make HUGE rackets in the parking lot at all hours of the day. HEY! Dumbasses! Some of us work for a living! Geez. It wasn't until AFTER i'd moved out that i realized i was living in Section 8 housing (that's politically correct code for "the projects")....ergh.

and the drama with the current house just makes me uber-glad that we're finally taking the leap and moving into luxury apartments....aaaahhh...it makes me delirious with joy! you MUST come visit the rad pad! hahaha!