Saturday, July 12, 2008

Hi, my name's Bastard

Is it terribly unprofessional of me if I bust a gut laughing everytime I remember my colleague's surname? Or is it understandable that every time I type out very important and very professional papers that are addressed to London, signed by him, I have to pretend I'm coughing to cover up my laughter? He must have some idea, I mean the French happen to know an impressive amount of swear words in English, and being named Yves* LE BASTARD as a teenager could not have gone unnoticed.

I asked if he had ever been to an anglophone country. He glared at me and replied that he doesn't like the English language or the English (after which I pointed out that I am Scottish). No prizes for guessing why! The poor eejit.


*first name changed to prevent further humiliation

7 comments:

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I hope his first name isn't Iam ...

Daddy Papersurfer said...

I actually know a Headmaster called Mr Head ....... and he called his son Richard ...... poor b****r

Le Tigre in France said...

hehehehe. I had a student whose last name was Worms, apparently that's very common here! And a friend of mine taught a woman whose last name was Beljambes!

Your co-workers kind of sound like...arseholes...

Lis of the North said...

Where we used to live in Nantes there was a pharmacy run by Mr Batard. Even better, as that is actually a term of abuse in French. And a vague colleague in my current job is called Miss Ringard (ringard is used by the French to describe something/someone decidedly not "with it").
I suppose some Anglo Saxon surnames must sound odd to French ears. I suppose.

Stavroulix said...

My landlord in Paris was called monsieur Bigot! But Bastard is worse :)

Florin O. said...

Hey, he is lucky. Many people have funny names in their own language. I had a colleague in high school who's name (in translation) was LaughsEasy. Imagine beeing called John LaughsEasy. After he said his name everyone asked "And you really do laugh easy?" :)

joy suzanne said...

Oh, the poor thing! But you know, the accent circonflex over the A in the word bâtard--which means bastard--is just there to mark the place where the "S" used to be in French. So, I mean, it still means Bastard. And I'm sure all the French speakers know it.

Hi, Princesse! It's a while since I checked in here and you've been on a posting spree. Glad to see that!