Sunday, February 10, 2008

Anyway

It's not often that I am feeling so upbeat and positive. Normally you will find me wallowing in negativity, sitting alone in a damp corner somewhere staring into the bottom of a glass at the remains of my vodka and orange and sighing "It's just not faaaaair." But things have taken a super-duper positive turn in my life recently and although I can't write about it yet (in fear that I jinx it) I'm turning into a 'glass overfloweth' type of girl.

To spread the glowing positivity and to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, I just wanted to share this beautiful and inspiring poem with you. It was written by Mother Theresa and is engraved on the wall of her children's home in Calcutta. It was recently read out at a writer's conference I attended and I doubt that there was one person in that conference hall who wasn't touched. Many of you may already know this poem as I am aware that it's well known but I'm quite sure you'll agree it is a piece of writing so awe-inspiring that it opens up an entirely new way of thinking each time you read it. (I also feel that anyone can get something out of this poem, whether they believe in God or not.) The following poem really gives us an insight into the type of amazing character Mother Theresa was, and I suppose we could all do with taking a little bit of advice from a woman so admirable.


People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.


If you are kind, people may accuse you
of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some
false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;

Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building,

someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,

they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will
forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
and
it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got ... anyway.

You see, in the final analysis,
it is
between you and God,
It never was between you and them anyway.

16 comments:

Peach said...

nice poem and nice to hear you're overflowing with love and happy stuff! Up for a bit of a write? Check this out if you get a mo:

http://peacharse.blogspot.com/2008/02/youre-not-only-one_10.html

Ghosty said...

Well, so nice to see you happy for once! But, what is it that has you feeling glad? TELL US!! No fair, dangling the carrot in front of our noses, now we're all going to make silly suppositions and brash assumptions!

Is it ... FP related? Hmmmmmm?

T.D. Newton said...

Seriously, the lesson of that poem is what ever human being needs to learn by the time they are high-school age. Stop caring so much what other people think!!!

Anonymous said...

I want to know what has made you so happy, too! I have a feeling it is FP related but I'll just have to wait and see!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Haha! It is partly FP related but it has nothing to do with a question being 'popped' and no, I am not up the duff!

T.D. Newton said...

...I hate to ask... but what is "up the duff"?

Princesse Ecossaise said...

lol! preggers / mit bebe / with a bun in the oven / pregnant!

T.D. Newton said...

Hilarious. Any idea where that phrase came from?

Zhu said...

Nice poem!

And for the record, I don't think you're being negative most of time. You have your ups and downs like the rest of us... your life is pretty interesting but I guess not always easy on you.

Teuchter said...

Whatever it is that's making you feel happy and positive - I'm delighted for you.


:hugs:

Princesse Ecossaise said...

TD the origin of 'up the duff' appears to go something like this;


"Duff isn't a common word and seems an odd choice for a colloquial phrase. It took a rather roundabout route...

As the phrase means pregnant it shouldn't come as a major surprise that for the origin we need look no further than the penis. As with many English phrases that refer to sexual activity we dive straight into a world of euphemism and there are several obscuring layers here between penis and pregnancy.

One of the numerous slang terms for the sexual organs, or more commonly specifically the penis, is pudding. This has a long history, going back to at least the 18th century, as here from Thomas D'Urfey's, Wit and mirth: or pills to purge melancholy, being a collection of ballads and songs, 1719:

"I made a request to prepare again, That I might continue in Love with the strain Of his Pudding".

A slang term for male masturbation, which leaves little to the imagination - 'pull one's pudding', has been known since at least the 19th century.

There is a related phrase for pregnancy - 'in the pudding club', and it turns out that this and 'up the duff' are essentially the same phrase. By 1890, Barrère & Leland, in their Dictionary of Slang, defined the term pudding club:

"A woman in the family way is said to be in the pudding club."

Note that in those Victorian times the definition of a euphemistic term for pregnancy relied on another euphemism.

Dough is another word for pudding and duff is an alternative form and pronunciation of dough. That was in use by 1840, as here from R. H. Dana in Before the Mast:

"To enhance the value of the Sabbath to the crew, they are allowed on that day a pudding, or, as it is called, a ‘duff’."

So, we travel this route - (up the) duff -> dough -> pudding -> penis -> pregnant."



So there we have it. Such a random way to get such a random expression but hey! I learned something new today!! Also I have never in my puff heard the expression 'to pull one's pudding' but this amuses me no end.

(source is phrases.org.uk)

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Zhu I'm glad you enjoyed the poem, it really is beautiful. And you made my day in saying that you don't find me negative most of the time! Hooray! I'm not known as a Moaning Minnie!

Teuchter; thank you thank you! hugs back to you too my dear! (hope you are doing well)

T.D. Newton said...

Oh, so you Google'd it, too, then.


hahahahahaha pudding. Gives new meaning to all those old Bill Cosby commercials (Jell-O Pudding).

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Indeed I did google it, I have a feeling it's going to make a great drunken night topic starter. I love just hitting out with random facts like that; 'did you know the origin of the phrase up the duff harks all the way back to the 18th century and is related to the phrase to pull one's pudding...?'

Cracking!

Sugar Queens Dream said...

That was wonderful! The poem is so true, you can never please everyone it is best to be your best for yourself... hugs Princess have a wonderful day and Good Luck!
~~Sugar from The Sugar Queen~~

EXQUiSiTE SOUL said...

awww i like that poem(:


&yeaah you are my influence of me creating another account. lol

yay sushi !(: