Thursday, January 17, 2008

Head Over Heels

I often tell FP that I'm head over heels in love with him because...well, because it's true. I suppose it is one of those strange expressions we use in the English language that doesn't entirely make sense and is therefore slightly difficult for a foreigner to make head nor tail of (and there's another one!).

The sms was sent to me almost a month ago, I mentally folded it up and stored it in the dresser drawers of my memory and even now it still sends me into convulsions of giggles.

It read;

Baby, I am really head over wheels in love with you...

Yes folks, head over wheels. It was his deadly serious tone that really got me. How cute is that?! Another FPism to add to the growing list.

Ah, sure, there's never a dull moment with that boy of mine!

8 comments:

T.D. Newton said...

The English language is full of colloquialisms that just don't make sense. I never understood "head over heels" when I was growing up because my head is always over my heels, geographically speaking. I think I began to understand it as doing a flip. So, FP is "doing flips" in love with you.

Um...

Wow, I am SO glad that there are more languages than English in the world.

Ghosty said...

"Heads nor tails" is a reference to a coin. You can't flip a coin to make a decision, because you can't tell one end of things from another. See, I think English is a wonderful language specifically because of those colloquialisms.

T.D. Newton said...

English is fun, just confusing and a lot to learn. Once you learn the rules then you have to inject all these funky colloquialisms and slang. Like "you slay me," eh Princesse?

sir jorge said...

i like coins. Congrats on love

ColbyPants said...

sir Jorge here left the perfect answer.

Zhu said...

I do that in French sometimes too... mostly because of hearing my students' mistakes too much.

Like you know:

"C'est la goutte d'eau qui fait déborder le vase"

and

"C'est la cerise sur le gateau"

Both means "to top it all"

Well, I invented:

C'est la cerise... sur la goutte d'eau!

Must have been tired that day :D

FP said...

to zhu :

"c'est la goutte qui fait déborder le gateau!!"

:-)

FP

Princesse Ecossaise said...

TD you have a nice new photo! I like it! When I think about some of the expressions we use in the English language I really can't fathom why someone would come up with that in the first place. Head over heels is one of them, because yes, our heads are meant to be over our heels anyway. Our language is strange, but beautiful.

I am a fan of metaphors. I really like metaphors. And similes. And alliterations. And Onomatopoeias are good too.

And, for the record, I also like coins. But I like notes better. Preferably with a big 20 or 50 on them.