Thursday, November 08, 2007

Pretend

Yesterday I was suddenly hit by inspiration for the plot of my novel. I sat with my laptop warming my lap and wrote 4000 words enthusiastically, excited as the story came into full flow, and my hand has changed shape into a claw-like form after the hours I spent typing without taking a break. I'm still trying to unfurl it now.

The novel is exciting to write, but I'm terrified it's not going to be all that exciting to read. It's certainly not going to be a man-book, that's for sure. Although I suppose I could add in a few steamy sex scenes, that might get the men interested. Sex sells. Then again, no. It's a bad idea; I mean my dad might read it!

Although I'm nowhere near finished, I decided while taking a tea break earlier that I would check out some reputable literary agents. And now things are looking bleak. So bleak in fact that as I googled and read the websites of interesting looking literary agencies, the digestive biscuit I was dunking into my mug fell in and went for a little swim in my tea. What a waste. The submission procedures follow certain guidelines, which remind me of school and university and make me nervous. For example;

"Submission Procedure

Your submission should consist of a synopsis (one page), sample chapter(s) (roughly 25 pages) and brief CV.

Additionally for non-fiction a short note on the competing or comparable literature, the sources and possible marketing outlets, is appreciated.

All material should be word-processed, double-spaced on one side of the paper and numbered.

We are not looking for poetry, sagas, sci-fi/fantasy or academic work."

Jenny Brown Associates

See what I mean? Just like school! Suddenly I don't feel at all like a writer anymore, and more like a silly little girl playing pretend.



7 comments:

Deadpoolite said...

And I thought I was mad, just check out those literary agents and their procedural madness:)... Oh well I guess in the longterm "beyond the hardships lies the joy of accomplishment"...

I guess I would have said something "poetic" like that if I wasn't DP with all the nasty side effects that this nick symbolizes for my fellow bloggers:)

So all I have to say instead is, arm yourself with patience and give it your best shot. Don't let the paperwork monster get in your way!

Take care and aim high!

I know I am cheesy as hell, it is a blessing and a curse:)

Later.

ColbyPants said...

dont let it stop you!

Ghosty said...

OOH! A NOVEL! I do not have the patience for that. I've tried. Good for you! I want an advance copy, signed.

Don't put in steamy sex scenes for the men, darling - don't you know all those romance novels are for the *women*? Men want PICTURES, we don't give a hoot about 'her heavy breasts, full and heaving'! LOL

Despina said...

GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT GO FOR IT

That is all.

sylvie d said...

Don't be put off, do your novel while you are inspired. You could self-published to start with, go on Blurb, it wont cost you much and you can then send the prototype to your editors.http://www.blurb.com/create/book/textbook

BTW, I do hope you will feature in FMB 's book, THE HUMAN BEHIND THE AVATAR ?

Zhu said...

I love the new little tweak in your blog, the sig' and the header !

Submitting manuscrits is indeed very much like in school. Been there, done that... my best advice would be to aim for the top and discard all the "I'll publish you if you pay for the book and sell it yourself" offers you might get ;)

Good luck !

T.D. Newton said...

Hey, I went through the exact same stuff when I finished my novel and submitted it to a publisher (except their requirements were a bit more precise than that). It didn't feel like school because I was still so excited that I had finished a project, especially since it was something very few people can say they have done.

I understand that you just got out of school so it's still pretty fresh on your brain but, honestly, if you're a fresh author your work is going to be an "unsolicited submission" and when you send it somewhere it will find its way into the "slush pile." All of this is very cool literary world jargon which just means you're not published so they put you in a stack with other unpublished authors to "read when they get to it."

If you can type 4000 words in one sitting, that is a pretty good sign. I try for 1000+ and if I can hit that then it was a productive 2 or 3 hour session (unless I get REALLY inspired!). I'm sure your book will be a fun read for guys and girls alike; I don't believe books should ever be gender-specific (even though there IS a genre called "chick lit").

Anyway, like everyone else said, keep up the good work! I'm still trying to write book #2!