Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Hallucinations and Celebrations


Well would you believe it? I, the girl who turned up to two out of her seven tutorials last semester, have passed all my exams! All my bloody exams! Who would credit it? Fancy that!

No more exams for me, ever!

In other news, last night was very strange.

I went to bed reading my book and woke up at 3am. My glasses sat on the end of my nose, the book still sat in my hand, open at page 498 – the part where the girl finds out her husband has been having an affair all along – and the Ikea lamp sitting on my bedside cabinet was still on.

Across the room, by the closed door someone cleared their throat. I looked towards them and startled when I realised it was a dog.

I don’t own a dog.

Ah, I thought, it must be one of those strange hallucinations I sometimes have when I’m half asleep.

It wasn’t just any dog, though. It was a dog taken from the scenes of one of C. M. Coolidge’s ‘Dogs Playing Poker’ paintings.

He was a basset hound, brown and white with long, floppy ears. His eyes were glistening in the soft light. He was stood on his hind legs; short and brown with a hint of silver when he came closer. He must be getting old.

He wore a smart dinner jacket, but no trousers. I could see his bits and bobs. I looked away for a moment, embarrassed. And then I remembered he was only a figment of my imagination and it was probably okay to look. The cigar he held in his paw was creating a lovely smell from my childhood; the smell of my Grandfather, before Gran got him to stop smoking.

“You passed your exams, my dear.” He pronounced, in a strong English accent. Posh; like the Queen, I thought to myself.

“I know…” I uttered, astonished.

“Work harder on your dissertation.”

“…okay…”

And then the door opened and my mum entered the room, wearing her pyjamas. She looked at me, looked around the room and whispered, “Who are you talking to?”

“Oh just a dog, mum…”

“Well light off, it’s 3am and I want you up early tomorrow.”

And with that I turned off the light and rolled over to face the wall.

I suppose the dog was right. I guess what he was trying to say was that although I passed my exams I can’t allow myself to relax on the dissertation.

It’s true what they say; dogs really are quite clever.

16 comments:

T.D. Newton said...

Great job passing ALL of your exams. It has to be a good feeling to know that's behind you. Keep at the dissertation and you'll get it done.

sugar007 said...

Congrats on your exams. It is an amazing feeling when you are done, isn't it?

Lis of the North said...

Hey well done princesse! Now get on and do a good job on your dissertation or you'll regret it, young lady. ;)

Munther said...

Congrats girl :)

But a talking dog ? Your mum must've thought that you were off your head :D

It must be your subconscious warning you against slaking. But to be honest seeing a talking dog at my door would cause me severe trauma , glad you took it with a pinch of salt and just went back to sleep ! Because I wouldn't have had it as easy !

Ghosty said...

Congratulations on your exams!

... and don't forget to let that dog out.

Zhu said...

On top of that, you just won a blog award ! Pick it up at my blog :

A busy blog week-end

;)

Daddy Papersurfer said...

You wear glasses? How weird.

Despinová said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
Your dissertation will be the icing on your cake of success - then France here we come!
Are your arms healing well? Hopw you listened to the dog
:)

sylvie d said...

bravo madame :-)

Thomas Hamburger Jnr said...

Congratulations! I, too (just about!) remember the pleasure of sitting my last ever exam - although I am plagued just occasionally by a nightmare where I am sitting one again!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Yasssss cheers everyone for the congrats!

Yeh man I'm not sure why the talking dog didn't strike me as odd - I suppose half asleep hallucinations are not uncommon to me. Anyway the talking dog was better than the time I saw the smurfs marching towards me with axes and weapons.

Zhu! You are great, I'm on my way to check this award out - I only hope that it's not an award about how much time I sit staring at my blog and refreshing the stats!

Despi the arms are getting very much better and I think the bruises will be gone in time for my rendezvous with my lover next Tuesday!

Hoi! What's wrong with glasses Daddy papersurfer? I alternate between specs and contacts - I LIKE my specs! FP says they are chic and sexy! Hmph.

(Ghosty - who let the dogs out? woof woof woof woof!)

(I hope you kow that song and you're not just sitting wondering what the feck I'm talking about...)

Stratford Girl said...

Congratulations on passing your exams, Princesse. Keep up the good work for the dissertation. It'll all be worth it!

Jez said...

*nods and smiles*

*backs away slowly*

(congrats)

Lord Likely said...

Congratulations on passing your exams, Princesse. And well done on passing without having to bribe any of the teachers or exam officials.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

ahem...Lord how do you know I didn't use a bribing technique?

Jez you poo! Come back here right now, no one backs away from me like I'm a nut case eejit and gets away with it!

Thankyou SG!!It will be all worth it...it's just sooooo boooorrrring! I have no idea what on earth possessed me when I chose my dissertation subject - it's the most boring subject in the entire universe!

The Horns and the Hawk said...

holy awesome. this is one of the coolest things i've ever read.

so reassuring to know that i'm not the only one with hair raising sleeping... habits.