Monday, July 30, 2007

Four Years Younger


In the midst of some serious last minute dissertation writing (I’ve two weeks left and I’m only halfway through the first draft), I took a quick trip to the hospital for some blood tests this morning.

Let me just add at this point that it wasn’t that god awful nurse I got last time who bruised my arms like a junkie.

The nurse, a 30 something, brunette, with an Australian drawl, welcomed me in the blood room, asked me to sit down and began the washing of hands and all the other fun stuff that goes on during the blood test ritual. We were making polite conversation as she drew dark red blood from my right arm, when she asked, ‘So, are you still at school [Princesse]?’

‘Ah, no,’ I replied, wondering what she meant by ‘school’; surely she meant university or college, no?

‘Are you going to study at college?’ She asked me, filling the last tube with blood.

‘No, actually I’ve finished university,’ I smiled awkwardly at her, wondering exactly how young she thought I was.

The Australian beauty let out an enormous guffaw, ‘Oops!’ she laughed, ‘I thought you were about seventeen!’

I am aware that I don’t always look like I’m 21, but come on…17?! Although, it certainly isn’t the first time someone has mistaken me for a younger version of myself, the number of times I’ve had to show ID when buying alcohol or cigarettes (for friends!). It can be a tad embarrassing when you’re 18 and mistaken for 15, I must say. Then again, I know I’m supposed to be terribly insulted, but it may mean that one day, when I’m 50, I’ll look 45…and that’s not such a bad prospect!

15 comments:

sugar007 said...

I wish I had that problem, I get mistaken for five years older and it feels like a dagger being twisted in my heart. So enjoy the confusion about your age!!

T.D. Newton said...

I always used to look older when I was in high school but I never put much thought into it. Everyone is different so they age differently; saying someone "looks" a certain age is probably the most subjective statement in the universe. It is completely open to the interpretation of the person looking. Don't take it personally; at least she was actually trying to make conversation.

ColbyPants said...

I had it perfect, as a teen I looked older than I should, and now I still occasionally get carded, at 28!

w00t!

TomC

sylvie d said...

That would be my dream! back to my beauty cream then...

sylvie d said...

exept the blood sample bit...that would not be my dream at all!!!

Zhu said...

Consider yourself lucky... people always think I'm 30+ and I'm 24 !

I like to thing it's because I have experience. I hope so. :D

Getty72 said...

Think ya'self lucky, I hit 35 this year...now that's old. I got on a bus to go into town last Saturday evening, and a 70 year old man stood up and offered me his seat..LOL!

On a serious note, enjoy the fact that people think you look younger than you are - it's a wonderful problem to have... Imagine if she had asked you how many grandchildren you have. Now that would be a problem worth worrying about.

(If it's any consilation - I don't think you look a day over 40)

Take care ~ Graham :)

T.D. Newton said...

I have a friend/co-worker who is 36 and always gets accused of being 27 or 28. It doesn't help that she's dating a 24 year old guy hahaha. Actually, she said her mother is the same way so I think it is genetic.

If I knew you better it would be funny for me to ask if your mom looks younger than usual or old and decrepit. Of course, since I don't, it just sounds mean :)

Samantha said...

Be lucky it's only 4 years - I often get 8-10! I just turned 27, but yet I actually got carded for ordering a kir in a French bar...where you have to be frickin' 16(!!!!) to drink.

During my holiday in the US, we took a rather long train trip, and during one of the meals, the couple sitting across from us found out it was my birthday, and guess I was 19.

While getting my hair cut in France, the coiffeuse asked what lycée I attended.

Personally, I think it's the combination of being a blond and having an accent that does it!

Miss Despina said...

Oh dear Princesse, I think the spam fairy has hit your comments box!
I used to get that all the time, until I started going out with a man ten years older than myself. I got ID-ed once when I was buying a bottle of wine with him, thankfully he saw the funny side! But since then I've been doing my best to look grown-up :)

Ghosty said...

You do look young ... but at my advanced age, everyone loooks young. :P I used to get taken for 10 years younger myself. Boy, do I miss those days ...

I spy with my little eye ... a SPAMMER! Evil! Get off of Princess' blog, you evil person!

Despina said...

I want to hit the spammer
with my spammer hammer.
She uses such bad grammar -
Damn her.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

haha! the spammer hammer! God...I supose this means I must do that damn word verification thingy again. Bloody spammer!

Something funny - yesterday the exact same thing happened! A nurse asked me if I had left school yet. Isn't that strange that it happened two days in a row? Hmmmm I wonder if it's because I'm regressing into my childhood while living with my parents.

@TD LOL!!! my mama aint old and decrepit - a few people have said she looks younger than her age, but I'm her daughter, I've never really noticed either way! She doesn't have many wrinkles at all though, for 54. I think my forehead has more lines than hers does... :-(

ColbyPants said...

wow, my folks are younger than your mom, and look great for their age. . .


btw, i got the same spam the other day. . .

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Coincidentally, my mum only turned 54 today! When I told FP how old she is he couldn't believe she was over 50, so I suppose she looks grand for her age after all, which MAY mean when I'm 54 I'll look under 50, hooray!


** HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUMA!!! **