Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bonjour Paris

Oh là là! I'm using FP's macbook with its French keyboard...this post may take hours to type - I've made so many mistakes in this one simple sentence. Question - why why why are important symbols and punctuation in such odd places on a French keyboard?! It took me half an hour this morning to find the @ sign. And which Frenchman decided a semi colon is more important than a full stop and should therefore be placed on the same key but one must press shift just to get a meagre little full stop? All that effort for a full stop, I mean really it's absolutley insane.

Anyway, that's enough complaining for today. Other than that I am the happiest girl alive. The reunion at the airport was perhaps not as sickeningly beautiful as I foresaw (there was no crowd to part and applaud in wonder of the beautiful young lovers as I was one of the very last out due to a little panic when I thought my suitcase had been stolen. It had not been stolen, it had simply been doing several tours of the carousel before I realised that sqaushed and battered sorry excuse for une valise that had passed everyone roughly seven times was mine).

It's funny though - no matter how handsome he is in my memories I still get a shock when I realise that to-die-for, beau, sexy man with the blue eyes is waiting for me. And the rush of butterflies that dance in my tummy when I realise that man is my man. The man who loves me as much as I love him.

We drove home from the airport with the windows open and me hanging my head out the window like an excited puppy. Everything I saw gave me joy as we drove through Beauvais and I said 'Bonjour' to everything French; 'Bonjour Cathédral! Bonjour Auchan! Bonjour Français, Bonjour Française! Bonjour hotel de ville! Bonjour chien français! Bonjour veiux clochard!'

Last night was incredible. It's been a long time since I felt so happy. About three months actually. When I was last here and FP took me to a gigantesque shoe store and I came away some euros lighter but two deliciously sexy shoes heavier.

We kissed, we cuddled on the sofa but we were too excited to stay still and so we decided to dance. And dance we certainly did. I didn't even stop when I was sweating like a pig and my face was red and shiny! He still looked at me like I was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen...now that's love!

And then there was this morning. Ahhh this morning was delightfuly yummy. I woke up at 6:45 and felt his warm hand on my back. Turning to face him he slowly opened his eyes and whispered 'Salut ma petite bébé d'amour,' with the smile of a sleepy angel. 'Hello mon beau gars,' I replied.

He left me for work this morning at 7:30. I slept my hangover away and woke up a few hours later with a longing. I could say a longing for him to take me in his arms and whisper sweet nothings in my ear but I shan't. This isn't Mills and Boon you know. And if that's what you are looking for then I'm afraid you are reading the wrong blog.

No, my longing was for a large French café crème and a croissant from the boulangerie at the end of the road.

It was only when I was up, showered and dressed that I realised I don't know where my set of keys for FP's apartment are.

Merde.

21 comments:

Miss Despina said...

Now that's what I call true love! Princesse you are hilarious, I hope you got your coffee and croissant. Have you tried pressing Alt and Shift to get the keyboard to stop being quite so European?
Happy happy happy!

Lesley said...

Aaaaaaaaaw.

(There is an option on Imacs for changing the keyboard from an azerty to a virtual qwerty, but imho you might as well get used to it. I did!)

Lord Likely said...

What a charming post.

Sadly, the only French I know is, "Où sont mon pantalon?"

You have no idea how often I have had to use that phrase.

- Lord Likely.

sugar007 said...

Hey, you made it and you are there at last!!I cam empathise about the keyboard situation. At work, I type like a kid on those little toy computers you can get at one word a minute on a good day.

Lis of the North said...

Oh Princesse! Welcome in France (as the natives like to say). Don't worry, you will get used to the keyboard. I struggled too but now when I use my parents' PC I keep typing q where there should be a.
So pleased you are happy!

T.D. Newton said...

That's cute and hilarious.

You need to take a picture of the French keyboard for tech-heads like me who are curious as to what it looks like.

Ghosty said...

Ahh, young love; how I miss that feeling. *sighs with wistful look in his eyes* ...

But, really now ... 'Bonjour Cathédral! Bonjour Auchan! Bonjour Français, Bonjour Française!' ... like a scene from 'It's a Wonderful Life' you are! "Bonjour, you old savings and loan ..."

Zhu said...

I feel for you - my parents have a Mac too and I feel totally stupid when I use it - not to mention the French keyboard I'm not used to anymore !

This post is really fun ! I can feel your excitement ! Love it !!!

Ah Prince Charmant... cacher les clés pour que la princesse ne s'en aille pas... good trick ! :D

Princesse Ecossaise said...

You know I am actually getting used to this French keyboard shizzle! Although it certainly doesn't help that the imac french keyboard differs slightly from this other laptop FP handed over to me when it became clear to him that I just couldn't appreciate the ins and outs of imacs.

You know Despi, I never did get my coffee and croissant...how sad I was! But we did manage to fit in a lovely trip to a typically French supermarket that stank of really strong cheese so I suppose that was just as nice :-)

Lord Likley this is probably one of the most important French phrases that one must learn. Keep up the good work!

@ sugar hahahaha!! that will definitley be me if I have to work with computers here. You have no idea how long this reply has taken me to type!

Awww Lis that's sweet! Merci for the welcome in France! I keep typing commas when I want to type an 'm' it's insanely annoying but I know when I get back to my own laptop I shall be typing 'm's when I want a comma!

@ TD ahhh the wonders of the world's keyboards eh...well let me search google and see if theres a picture there, if not I'll take a photo and show you when I get the chance to load up (my digicam only works with my old laptop back home in Glasgow)

Ghosty I'm not sure what a wistful look is like but I like the word very much. Ahhh but don't you know that I am 'it's a wonderful life' personified? ^_^

@ zhu haha! Il est naughty mon prince n'est ce pas? Un vrai Loup! I still haven't found those keys yet...

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Voila TD this is a picture of a French keyboard - bare (bear?) in mind it's a really simple one here. The one I'm using just now has about five different functions to one key...confusing.

http://www.axelio.com/COMPAQPARTS/Claviers/317443-051.jpg

You have to press shift to get numbers, full stop and to get the @ sign you have to press Alt Gr ... whatever that is.

T.D. Newton said...

Oh my... I do believe that keyboard would drive me nuts! It's kind of cool, though, I have to admit. I knew that there were different keysets but I had just never seen one before.

I have a very basic DELL keyboard at work that I was considering pulling all of the letter-keys off of and rearranging. It wouldn't bother me (because I've been touch-typing since fourth grade) but it would be fun if anyone else tried to use my workstation!

sylvie d said...

It's funny I you get used to your own keyboard...on a laptop at the moment and I can't stand it!...my fingers look enormous! have a great holiday with your cheri :-)

T.D. Newton said...

I am glad you are taking some days off from blogging and I hope you are enjoying them.

We're all waiting for your next post :)

ColbyPants said...

we both cant be off from blogging at the same time! The cybersphere will not know what to do with itself! (PS should have a new tower in a week or so, HOORAY, so I will be aback at it!) I miss commenting wasting too much time on your site!


:)

TomC

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Awww I adore blogging - the fact that readers actually realise I've not written for a while is lovely! Well, I'm back in shizzly Scotland...got to dash off to see a dog about a man soon though but will probably be feeding my lovely blog addiction later on this evening. A bientot a tous!

sugar007 said...

I figured that your absence from blogging had something to do with a certain FB. **nudge, nudge, wink, wink ** Rightly so!!!

sugat007 said...

I meant FP by the way :-)

Princesse Ecossaise said...

hehe ahh yes my dear Sugar - you were very correct! ;-)

fracas said...

"It's funny though - no matter how handsome he is in my memories I still get a shock when I realise that to-die-for, beau, sexy man with the blue eyes is waiting for me. And the rush of butterflies that dance in my tummy when I realise that man is my man. The man who loves me as much as I love him."

The sweetest thing I read today!

reta said...

this is beautiful writing and wonderful! It reminds me so much of my own man, and my wonderful relationship with him. The first time you see him again...after having been gone from him for so long. During the time before, you are remembering how wonderful and awesome he looks, and then when he sees you, it completely takes your breath away how handsome he is...yes, I know this feeling very well!!! My beau also has bleu eyes as well! :-) Love his bleu eyes! And the fact that he is mine and all is mutual. There is nothing like that. I love reading your description here. It fills me with even more emotion for the man who is mine. :-) Thank you for this. It was wonderful reading!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Thanks Rita! I enjoyed writing this post, at the time I was on cloud 9, having an absolute blast!


Ahhhhh blue eyes....delicious!