Thursday, June 07, 2007

Ye Ken Yer Scottish If...



I wonder if anyone other than Scottish readers will understand this...Quite interesting, tell me if you get it!

Et FP, tu devrais comprendre beaucoup car je t'ai deja enseigne comment parler Sco'ish!


Ye ken yer Scottish if...

1. ye can properly pronounce McConnochie, Sauchiehall, St Enoch and Aufurfuksake.

2. ye get four seasons in wan day

3. ye canny pass a chip/kebab shop withoot sleverin when yer blootert

4. ye kin fall aboot pished wi'oot spilling yer drink

5. ye kin make hael sentences jist wae swear wurds

6. ye urny surprised tae find curries, pizzas, kebabs, fish n chips, irn bru, fags and nappies all in the wan shop

7. a big flash car has a ned at the wheel

8. ye know irn bru is a hangover cure

9. yer holiday home at the seaside has calor gas under it

10. finally, ye're 100% Scottish if ye've ever said...

'how's it hingin?'

'boggin'

'pished'

'get it up ye'

'wee beasties'

'amurny'

'away an bile yer heid'

'baw-heid'

'baw bag'

'fit lyk min?'


9 comments:

sugar007 said...

oh my gosh, my scottish ex-colleague used to say 'get it up ye' and 'pished'. In regards to 'pished' I always thought that was a speech imperdiment he had with that word :-)

T.D. Newton said...

I am completely befuddled.

Funny, though.

Ghosty said...

... eh? *looks confused*

However, I do want a t-shirt that says 'fit lyk min?' on it. And I don't even know what it means! haha

Zhu said...

I though I spoke English. Apparently I don't. Well, at least not well enough to understand everything in this post.

As a revenge, you'll have to go to southern France and practise the accent. :D

ColbyPants said...

Princesse, I may have read one too many Irvine Welsh novel, because I have never been to Scotland, and I think I understand your post.

I havent decided if this is good or bad yet.

TomC

FP said...

Même si je trouve que je ne passe pas assez de temps avec toi à mon avis, j'ai tout de même bien compris ton poste!!! Bien joué! tu m'as bien appris le Sco'ish! Tu fera un bon professeur ! ;-) OUps je vais être en retard au boulot !! Allez hop !

bisous X X X X

Princesse Ecossaise said...

hahaha this really cracked me up! Sugar, Tom and FP I'm roud of you for having come across it before!!!

And zhu!! haha try as I might, I just cannot understand the southern French accent!

Lis of the North said...

Sniggering all to myself in front of the laptop at "Aufurfuksake".
Before you leave Scoatland fir good, git yersel tae Waterstones in town. And buy "The Eejits". It's a Scots translation of "The Twits". I bought it when I was home and every page has me in stitches. :)

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Yasss! Great idea to translate the Twits into Scottish! Am gonnae buy it like. They totally shid translate a' books intae Sco'ish. Preferably in Wegie fur neds like me!! :-p