Tuesday, June 12, 2007

D-Day



Today is D-Day.

Dissertation Day. Which means I must sit in one position all day long, drinking lots of coffee with ten thousand tourism textbooks sprawled out across the table in front of me, while I chew on a pen and wonder how to get started on these damn 12000 words.

I now regret having asked for an extension on my dissertation. Had I done what I was supposed to, I would have finished it and sent it off in April, and would be graduating in August like everyone else.

But had I done that I probably wouldn’t be graduating at all because I was never going to be able to finish my dissertation on time, without sacrificing my other projects at uni. So be it.

However, I didn’t think at the time that I would be stuck here in Scotland until I finish it, with both my parents nagging at me to study and to ‘stop bloody blogging’.

As mum woke me up this morning at 7am before she left to go to work she pulled the covers off my sleepy body, making me shiver and cry in frustration, and demanded I get up and do my dissertation.

I rolled out of bed, mumbling and growling expletives under my breath and stumbled into the bathroom for a shower.

And now I’m left to stare at my little laptop screen with a frown on my face and the sound of the clock ticking away with every second that I don’t write.

So far I have written one subheading and one sentence.

“Introduction

It was not until the late nineteenth century that tourism as we know it today began to evolve.”

I think it is time for a well earned coffee break.

16 comments:

T.D. Newton said...

Writing is hard, eh?

I'm sure you can do it, just try to write one page at a time and then take a break. You'll be surprised how fast you can get it done by indulging your constant need for downtime on a scheduled basis.

Coffee helps, of course.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

och I hate writing pages and pages on subjects that don't interest me!

And I have to use facts and figures. That is a real bugger.

Bloody dissertation.

ColbyPants said...

I have some nice Serrano Cuban Coffee I would share with you, but it will be cold by the time it gets to you.

TomC

Princesse Ecossaise said...

I've never had Cuban coffee before! Although I do think I've had my fair share of coffee today...my tummy aches and my head hurts. Caffeine overload!!!

Feel a bit crazy and hyperactive actually. Time for some music so I can dance around the house and annoy my mum!

Jeebus said...

LOL

I need some coffee

;)

sylvie d said...

sounds promising...keep writing you are a natural!

Sebastien said...

One should always blog no matter the circumstances!

I remember back in school, I always worked best when I wrote my papers at the library computer... too many distractions at the apartment!

Ghosty said...

Alright, quit screwing about and get to work!

*slowly turns into your mother*

curryegg said...

Soemtimes we just can't stop overselve from blogging. Even my mum mumbles me..
You've a nice blogs here. Keep blogging!
Will come back to read more..
;D

Despinová said...

Waves of encouragement coming from Prague!

wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......wave.......

D x

sugar007 said...

How is it coming along?

Princesse Ecossaise said...

hahaha Despina I appreciate the waves of encouragement!

Hello Curryegg! That's quite funny i was reading your blog yesterday! Good to see you here ^_^

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Oh it's not coming along Sugar, not coming along at all!!

sugar007 said...

oh dear!!! You have all my sympathy. I find it hard to write a 1000 words on anything yet alone a dissertation...Keep it at it.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Hehe yes me too!! Friggin' dissertation arrrrrrrrgh

I think I shall begin AFTER lunch!

The Horns and the Hawk said...

you could always try plagiarism, i mean, that is if you think they won't notice.

otherwise, that sounds about my pace for writing... stuff. school stuff.