Thursday, May 24, 2007

Yellow Hair



This morning was spent looking after a friend’s six year old daughter, Paige, giving her mum a well earned morning shopping spree in peace.

Paige has ‘issues’ according to her mum. Known as a difficult child, she’s hyperactive and finds obsessions with unusual things such as the washing machine. But hey, I thought, how hard can looking after a six year old be?

I was greeted by Paige at the door of her mum’s apartment. A pretty little girl with long, dark hair skimming her lower back stood in front of me. She was small for her age, with a crusty nose and was wearing a pink Barbie T-shirt and a ballerina’s tutu. She held a wand in her right hand. With a grin and a wave of her wand, she hooted, “Ooooh! Long, yellow hairs!”

I smiled and said, “yes, and you’ve got beautiful long dark hair.”

She smiled back, proudly. My friend turned up behind her daughter. “Hey chick, how you doin’? Come on in,” she stepped back and invited me into the small corridor of their apartment.

Sighing, my friend picked up three Disney books that had been left on the floor of the living room and smiled apologetically at me. “She has an obsession with blonde hair at the moment. I’d tie yours up if you don’t want her to play with it. Don’t worry, she’ll calm down if you sit her in front of a dvd.”

But Paige didn’t calm down. Clawing her way up onto my lap she spent an hour trying to play with my hair, pulling and tugging at it until I could take no more and sat her down on the sofa next to me and said, “Come on kiddo, let’s read a book together.”

“But I want to play with your yellow hairs.”

“No, no, Paige. It’s time to calm down now. Come and show me your favourite book.”

Her bottom lip pouted and she huffed and puffed. Eventually she moved from her place on the sofa and toddled back to me with a book entitled ‘Chicken Licken,’ a story I used to love, myself, as a child.

I read to her, which certainly calmed her down for a few minutes. Although with every page turn she pointed to the picture of Chicken Licken and exclaimed, “she has yellow hairs, yellow hairs, yellow hairs!”

Since it seemed that everything we did involved Paige’s speculation of 'yellow' hair I gave in and listened to her ramblings on the subject.

“My friend has yellow hairs too. And my teacher. She has yellow hairs. And Granny and Granny’s doggy. Granny has yellow hairs but it’s not long its short yellow hairs.”

“I see…” I said, inspecting my nails.

“But Granny’s skin isn’t yellow like the doggy, it’s grey and it doesn’t fit her.”

I looked up, bemused, “Her skin doesn’t fit her?”

“Nup! Cos she’s got old. She’s got crinckles.”

“Wrinkles.”

“Yeh, her skin’s too baggy for her face.”

Remind me to get some Botox at the first sign of ‘crinckles’. I don’t want my skin to be too baggy for my face.

P.s. Don't you just love my picture? I drew it all by myself.

10 comments:

T.D. Newton said...

Sounds like you had a bearable time overall. Babysitting is not one of the most fun things to do in the world.

Nice... picture? haha.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Ha! I'm so proud of my picture! I think I could make some money out of my drawings ^_^

ColbyPants said...

yep you have asd much change of being an artist as I do, we can be modern concept artists. . .

Miss Despina said...

Oh my, it's so very......

sylvie d said...

Funny I was having a conversation yesterday with A about how her friend who is 10 and has long blond hair would have had dark hair if it wasn't for her mum who died her hair before she was born!....and she was very sure about that fact too...
P.s:...stick to writing in the future...I thought it was the little girl who did the pic!hihihihi
Very good light hearted post :-))

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Oh la la! It's 'modern art'! It belongs in the Tate Modern Gallery! It's Briiiiillliant and you are all just jealous! :-p

Or perhaps not...

Sebastien said...

Wonderful picture!

Little kids are so funny. They always crack me up, well, unless they start complaining non-stop, I don't like that...

Crinkles, that is an interesting word. I like it.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Yes!!! Seb likes my picture! It's nice to see someone appreciates my work of art ^_^

I adore little kids, but when they pull hair it's so not fun.

Zhu said...

I think 6 years old little girls are the worse. They are usually obsess with something (blond hair, Barbie doll or whatever), they're girlie, they're ennoying...

How do I know ?

Well, I was probably one of them... :D

Princesse Ecossaise said...

haha yeh zhu, moi aussi!