Thursday, May 03, 2007

We're Jammin'


My beautiful bass guitar sits in the corner of my bedroom, begging to be played. It’s been a while since I last ran my fingers along its four strong strings, heard the deep bum bum bum noise by plucking those strings. It’s been too long since I took a duster and lovingly polished my bass. Too long since I last tuned those strings to perfection, since I spent hours just plucking and slapping, making wonderful melodies, deep, bassy, juicy music, making the tips of my fingers bleed slightly.

I love my bass.

We’ve been through so much together; the break up of boyfriends, the passing of exams, leaving school, starting university, through teenage heartbreaks, good times and bad times…

One day, at a ‘jammin’ session’ in someone’s home, I was happily plucking away to the other’s improvisations, lost in the moment, immersed in the music. I was chewing gum, my head was down, my hair covering my face as I played with all my strength and passion.

We’d found ourselves in a wonderfully soulful melody, just per chance. Everyone was in the moment, my mouth had gaped open and I lost my gum.

I stopped, looking for the gum on the floor. The others continued playing.

Minutes later, I was still searching. I was now on my hands and knees, hunting on the carpet.

“What the frig you lookin’ for man?”

“I can’t find my gum!”

“It’s uhh…it’s in your hair…” the drummer offered.

“Oh.” I tried to get the sticky glob of minty freshness out of my hair. “It’s stuck,” I weeped. “I’m going to have to – ”

“Holy shit, man! Your amp is on fire!”

And I looked behind me…my amp was indeed on fire. My handsome, sexy, Fender Amplifier. With bright red flames dancing on top of it.

Still on my hands and knees on the carpet, gum in my hair, I panicked and screamed.

“Help! Help! My amp!” I sobbed.

Someone put out the fire by patting it with a jersey. I thought I was going to die. Apparently the fire was no bigger than a thimble. I think that’s a lie. To me, it was the size of my head. At least.

Me and my bass have been through a lot together; the break up of boyfriends, the passing of exams, leaving school, starting university, through teenage heartbreaks, good times and bad times, fires and near death experiences…

Et ca, c'est l'amour.



6 comments:

Drew said...

You crack me up. Get on your Bass and get back to jamming.

Sebastien said...

Sounds like it was a fun day. Good times are only good if they are dangerous. Well, maybe...

Zhu said...

Good times with friends are always precious...

Love the way you write. You sound so energetic !

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Oh eeek! And arsonist maybe?

The Horns and the Hawk said...

holy crap that's awesome! you packed so much soul into that crunchy jam that your amp ignited!

i've got three basses. i used to play a lot, now i don't play so much. :(

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Lets start a band of bassists, that would be SO cool!

Yes, the report from the fire station did state that I packed too much crunchy, juicy, beefy tunes into the sexy amp that it got too excited and bang! on fire.

Those are the exact words.