Monday, May 21, 2007

City Girl or Country Bumpkin?




Waking up in the countryside is totally different from waking up in the city. I am staying with my parents in their house in the country, surrounded by fields and cows, tractors and trees.

I can’t say I’m a city girl or a country girl. I’m a bit of both I suppose. I need the city, I need the hustle and bustle of every day life, I need the fashion, the action and the social life. But, I also need the country life; the life where I can have fresh air and the therapeutic task of gardening. When I come home to the house where I grew up in, I realise how lucky I am to have the choice of living in both the city and the countryside.

This morning I awoke to the sound of birds singing and cows mooing in the distance. I ate my breakfast on the patio in the sun, watching a small bird washing herself in our bird bath. The sun was shining, the bees buzzing around our roses. A tabby cat crossed the far end of the garden and slowly approached me on the patio where I was sipping on my tea.

“Morning Tabby,” I said softly, and stroked the warm tiger-like fur of the cat. She purred up at me, before sitting her podgy body down lazily by my feet.

I spread my mother’s home made jam on a scone and took a bite into it. The bird in the bird bath was splashing about, unaware that there was a cat only a few feet away from her.

“This is the life…” I said aloud, not to anyone or anything in particular.

There was a slight breeze in the garden, my tousled bed-head hair blew slightly, tickling my shoulders. I smiled. This was what I had needed. The past few weeks stuck in the city, breathing polluted air and dust, had taken its toll on my inner strength.

With a sigh of relaxation, I leaned over and picked up the sleepy cat, holding her on my lap. The only animals I come across in the city are dirty pigeons, stray dogs and mice.

Normally, I wake up to the terrifying sound of my hideous alarm clock, or Goth neighbour next door having sex with God knows who. I’ve usually tossed and turned all night while trying to drown out the sirens coming from outside by putting the pillow over my head.

I eat my breakfast while watching T.V., take a quick shower and trip over the wet towels dropped on the floor while I dash out for my bus to uni, which is, as always, crowded with students and pensioners and delayed on the route because of road works.

Could it be that I am, after all a country bumpkin at heart?

Or am I slightly biased as I write this on my laptop outside in the sun, in a beautiful garden, with a cat at my feet and real coffee in my mug?

12 comments:

T.D. Newton said...

I think it's a harsh reality that we live in that people really can't survive in the country much. There's nothing to do and nowhere to go. I grew up in a really small farm town in California and even though I scorned it while I was younger I would love to live back there again as an adult. As long as I can have high speed internet in my rural location I could care less about the city and its insanity. It's a good place to visit but I live in the suburbs for a reason.

ColbyPants said...

I am the exact opposite, I am definitely a city kid, even if I am living in small town ohio. I grew up in the urban sprawl around Boston, and thrive on it. If I dont get to a decent sized city once every ten days or so (Toledo or Cleveland, Detroit or Ft Wayne) I get antsy. I live for that insanity.

Jez (Despina's boyfriend) said...

I'm living in the city (of Manchester) and love it for the culture and the vibrancy etc. etc., but I still find myself yearning for the countryside (I grew up in rural North Yorkshire).

Sebastien said...

Sounds idyllic! I'm a city person, but ultimately, maybe when I'm much older, I'd like to settle down in the countryside, but really who knows... your post makes me think of when I would visit my grandparents, they live in a little town in Burgundy, you get woken up by roosters, there are sunflower fields and wheat fields and everything is soooo beautiful... a great big old church in the town centre, tallest structure in the town...

It's marvelous, but it does get a little boring after a while, haha!

Miss Despina said...

Sounds idyllic! I think you're very lucky to have the balance there :)
Ah, I see you and Jez have met...!

Zhu said...

I'm 100% a city girl. I'm not lost in the countryside, but I get bored. I need the city buzz.

However, I like the extremes : I love Alice Spring in Australia, where the next city is about 2 000 km away. I love Beijing and the crowd everywhere.

JUst went to the USA today for a daytrip, we stopped in the 1 000 island, in a small village. Just one main street and the next gas station was 1 hr away. I like it for the day. That's about it.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

It's so funny the way everyone seems to have a definite preference one way or the other!

I still can't make a choice between the two but I do think it might have something to do with the fact i was brought up in the countryside and so when I'm here it's like 'home'.

Ideally I'd like a house in the countryside and an apartment right in the thick of the city. But I don't have the dosh :-( shame!

ColbyPants said...

dosh = $$?

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Aye, dosh is money. Strange, I thought it was an American term. Must be English. It's not Scottish. Scottish for money is 'hirey'.

'mon the Scots

ColbyPants said...

cash seems the preferred term

Princesse Ecossaise said...

yes, yes.

There are so many slang words for money. And sex. But considering you might need one to get the other it makes sense I suppose.

Lis of the North said...

You're like me princesse, I love the country but I couldn't live there. I need my city conveniences. We're so lucky to live where we do. It's like a village, with local shops (excellent butcher & baker, and a chemist etc.), but we're in the city at the same time. And the country is only five minutes' drive away. Best of all worlds.