Friday, April 20, 2007

It's not all bad...


I’ve been in a rather melancholy mood since yesterday. I was stuck in my apartment all day because I’ve a project to complete by Monday and frankly it’s not going too well. My mind is still on Virginia Tech; the unsettling videos of that sick, psychotic man are on every t.v. channel; the media are glorifying a mass murderer. There’s no way of avoiding it now, and every extra moment of seeing him talking about his massacre, and the fact it was someone else’s fault…It just brings too much sadness, revulsion, anger and disappointment to me.

It seems that just as I start to believe the world is an ok place, I turn on the news and I hear about wars, murders, abductions, child abuse…

I had a meeting in the centre of Edinburgh this morning. Although I could quite happily walk from my apartment to the city centre I was running late and decided to jump on the number 10 bus.

As I pay the somewhat disgruntled driver, I look around to see that the whole bus is crowded; a mixture of students and pensioners filling up the seats and many swaying about on their feet. With slight difficulty, I find a space to stand for the quick journey and hold tightly onto the pole to steady myself. Surveying the surroundings, I notice the younger people giving up their seats for the elderly.

I smile to myself. That’s the way it should be.

At the next stop, a young mother and toddler get on. They struggle to find a space where they can stand, an elderly woman offers her seat but the mother smiles kindly and refuses. They stand close to me, and I study them.

The toddler, a little boy, is absolutely gorgeous. He has a mass of dark curls on his head, feminine features accented by the length and thickness of his eyelashes. I have never seen eyelashes like that that haven’t originated from a drug store. His little baby lips were red and full, a cheeky smile spread across his face.

He seemed a happy little fellow, jumping around, chattering away to himself, refusing to hold onto his mother’s hand. He was on those reigns that are designed for kids. I’ve not seen a child on reigns for many years now. They are such a great idea; a leash for children!

He then sticks his finger up his nose, digs around, and pulls out the hugest crotte de nez I have ever seen. I wince in disgust, step back a little so that he doesn’t accidentally flick it on me. Please don’t eat it, please don’t eat it…

He studies it for a minute or two before holding it up to his mother, with a proud smile on his baby lips. “I gots a big bogey, mummy!” Embarrassed, his mother pulls out a Kleenex instantly and takes the crotte from her son.

Coming close to the end of my journey, I navigate my way towards the middle bus door. A pensioner is sticking her face into the little boy’s, cooing and talking baby-speak. How annoying that must be, I think, poor kid.

He gasps, jumps up and down with excitement, points a finger and shouts, “Mummy! Mummy! Look, dat lady gots a big beard ‘n’ m’stache, Mummy!”

I hop off the bus and laugh to myself.

Although there are terrible things happening in this world, there are also small, but beautiful things present.

The simple pleasures in life are what give us joy, hope and peace. A child so pure, so honest, not really capable of understanding anything other than a happy world, a kind gesture to a stranger, a simple smile, giving up a seat on a bus for a frail pensioner, looking into a lover’s eyes, kind words; a simple sentence can make you laugh or cry, a beautiful view, a lone flower growing against all odds in the wrong climate…

After all, if there were only bad and evil things occurring, how would we know they were bad, if we didn’t have anything good and pure to compare it to?

8 comments:

ColbyPants said...

for every yin there is a yang. somedays its all that can keep ya going ;)

TomC

Princesse Ecossaise said...

That's right, that's the only way to get through difficult or unsettling times. It may be hard to see sometimes, but there is a balance.

Heads N Tails said...

gr8 blog going on there.. really nice work...

Heads N Tails said...

yep.. exactly... it was Gere and Shilpa Shetty

T.D. Newton said...

Hey, thanks for putting me on your blogroll ... and twice! You're awesome.

You have to try not to think about this stuff so much. As horrible as it may sound, a human's ability to ignore guilt and sympathy allow us to focus on our own problems so that we aren't stuck taking care of everyone else. It's a balance, of course, as you can't walk through the world an uncaring lump, but honestly if you have trouble "getting through the days" without stopping to reflect that the world is at least somewhat "good" you might have bigger problems than everyone else's crises.

Then again, maybe I'm just in a sour mood today.

sylvie d said...

We are only here for a tiny short time, while we all have our moments of grieving, self-doubt, hard times in our lives the ability to appreciate even the smallest things of life as you just described here make life a lot more enjoyable. Not many people have that skill!

Princesse Ecossaise said...

Sylvie! Ca fait longtemps!

I think it's a human mechanism; an ability that every human needs, especially those who have had more than their fair share of difficult times.

TD, I put all of your blogs on my blog roll...cause I am awesome ^_^

Sebastien said...

That's exactly how I feel. There are beautiful moments and things happening all the time. Humans have a great capacity for evil, but I think an even greater capacity for good. And even the Virginia Tech event, one person did a horrible thing, but many others tried to save peoples' lives in the midst of that event, which is amazing and selfless and helps give us something positive from that whole tragedy.

I've been wanting to write a post about Virginia Tech, but it's hard to find the right words, know what I mean? but I definitely wanted to write about how we should never forget the good, the media and government tends to try and fire up the fear in every person, for some reason? Ratings I suppose, and votes of course...