Sunday, April 15, 2007

Grease Lightening

I thought Europe (i.e. France, Italy, Spain...) was the place to go if you wanted to see bizarre chaos on the roads. Apparently I’m on the wrong continent.

My brother has just come back from India. According to him, travelling the roads of Delhi is a very…interesting experience indeed.

“If you want to change lanes you don’t indicate, you just toot your horn and everyone stops their car to let you do what you want.”

The funniest thing to me (although tomorrow it may be less funny as tonight I’m slightly intoxicated,) was the fact that he saw a motorbike with a whole family riding it.

2.4 children and all.

Classic.

7 comments:

Jai'me said...

That's quite true. There are no lanes - it's like one wide road where cars don't stay in line. Most drivers don't wear seat belts - actually most cars don't even have them! It's amazing you don't have accidents happening all the time. They love to honk the horn and guess what? Even with all that chaos and honking, there is no such thing as a rage. Over here in the UK people lose their temper quite easily on the road and the sound of the horn is usually the result of rage - not so in India. Oh and you smell gas fumes ALL over.

ColbyPants said...

sounds like a blast! How many people get run over per year there?


TomC

T.D. Newton said...

I didn't know India had The Atomic Family. I thought that was just an American thing. That's funny, though.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

I'd like to go, if only to see the roads working totally against all odds if thats the way they do it.

It would never work here. Never, ever, ever. Not in a million years.

T.D. Newton said...

Yeah the system probably works because everyone has learned it that way. If you tried to get Europe or America to drive like each other you'd have complete chaos.

Sebastien said...

My parents just came back from India, the photos they took were amazing. The roads, just insanity. That thing about the family on a motorbike, it's funny, but of course it's also frightening at the same time.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

yes, it is frightening...but I guess its totally normal for them, they don't think it's dangerous.