Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Dear, Old Friend...I Think

I should have stayed in bed this morning.

Instead, I met my mother in town this afternoon for a quick lunch. Although the weather has been unseasonably warm lately, as we were walking towards the car after lunch, our stomachs full and round after eating what turned out to be a hearty but delicious three course meal, we felt the first spots of rain.

Within seconds the light rain had turned into what I can only describe as a freak storm and we navigated our way into the closest shop in order to wait for the worst of the rain to pass.

I’m soaked through, my teeth chattering, my shirt plastered to my body, my bare arms showing goose pimples. Next thing, I hear a voice saying my name…

Shit, I think as I turn around to see who it is.

A girl stands there with a huge smile on her face, her mousy blonde hair pulled back into a slick ponytail.

I smile with recognition and say, ‘hi!’ in my most delighted how-nice-to-see-you voice. Shit, shit, shit!

She begins a conversation with me, asking the usual what have you been up to questions.

I have no recollection of who this person is. Her face rings a bell but I just can’t put my finger on where I’m supposed to know her from. Thinking I might get away with it without having to use her name, I try to escape, calling my mum over saying the rain has calmed down and we really should be getting back.

My mother arrives at my side and says to me, “and who’s this?”

BUSTED

What do you say in this situation? There is no way of getting around it. I had to come clean.

“I’m really sorry, I…uhh…What’s your name again?”

She loses her wide smile and her face turns red. “Hilary*..? We went to school together.”

Yes, Hilary; the girl I went to school with for 6 years.

Hilary; the girl I was best friends with for half of those 6 years.



Name has been changed to protect the unforgetful. If you happen to read this I do apologise profusely. You caught me a little flustered and my brain appears to shrink in the rain.

4 comments:

T.D. Newton said...

Ohhhhh, I HATE HATE HATE when that happens. I am so horrible at remembering people's names it happens a ton. Too bad you couldn't have informed your mom beforehand; it's always easy to get someone to introduce themself.

BTW... how did a quick lunch get accomplished with 3 courses??

ColbyPants said...

i am awful wit names so it happens all the time. the worst is wheb you dont get caight and remember an hour later!

Sebastien said...

That's the worst feeling in the world. I remember when that's happened to me, and I thought I'd be smart and introduce another friend in the hopes they'd exchange names and I'd hear the person whose name I didn't know introduce themselves. But when the friend whose name you do know asks you, 'And who's this!?' Ahhhh, not good, but hey, you can always tell people, well, there really is no good excuse when you think about it.

Princesse Ecossaise said...

it's true, it really is downright humiliating! It's the worst when they remember your name, because then you feel really guilty!